Black Ice Glass FX DAC DSD Wi-Fi
Oct 16, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 24
I have had this piece of gear for a week and really like it. The stock tubes are Tung-Sol and do sound good. The best impression this Dac/Amp has made on me is the soundstage, it is fantastic. For an entry level piece of gear into the Black Ice line I can say I will be looking at their line up of gear more closely. I look forward to rolling tubes with this and using the Dac section with other amps. The Dac/Amp is great for super long listening sessions album after album no fatigue. Black Ice is working on a new headphone Dac/Amp that I think is going to be a hit when released. It will have some features for tailoring the sound to your liking. I am somewhat old school and miss bass treble adjustments, I believe that will be implemented. Also some of Fosgate processing features. All in all I am very happy with my purchase and would give this piece of gear a thumbs up to anyone looking for that tubey goodness.

edit: I hooked up the Dac to a Lyr3 and wow this is an absolute pleasure to listen to. The Dac on this is amazing. Again soundstage full and precise at the same time never a sense of listening to digital music.

I can say that this Dac -to my ears- is the most analog sounding dac I have ever heard while still maintaining all the pristine nature of digital. Full of body, detail and clarity. Spot on realistic sound and ambiance reproduction.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/dac/black-ice-glass-fx-tube-dac-dsd-wi-fi-review/

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 24
Included a link to a review if anyone is interested.

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 24
Somewhat of a bump in hopes someone else discovers what a great piece of gear this is. Shameless post to get it back in rotation as I consider this dac as a must listen to experience. It is sort of sad that many will not give It a try due to the marketing strategy. One up side to Black Ice Audio marketing is you can audition it at dealers brick and mortar stores. Downside to this being availability in your area. For the brave buying online is an option. I for one am very happy I gave this dac a chance.

I know I keep calling this a dac, in reality it is a dac/amp. Excuse my exclusion of the amp aspect as I was looking for a tube dac at the time and focused more on the dac itself. The amp section is no slouch and delivers some serious audio quality, although limited by the se 1/8 output. - Lol, sorry but just a little aside - listening right now an had to chuckle and smile. To me it is just one of those moments of pure pleasure listening to iems and thinking wow how does all this come out of that. - As far as this limitation goes I do prefer to use the pre outs to some of my favorite amps.

let me explain that aside. I am listening to Amazon Party Hard Rock playlist and the pre out is connected via some pysst interconnects to the Drop THX 789, to the ears with Fearless Audio Rolands. One thing is totally obvious, I have never heard this iem sound so good. Does it rival full size headphones? Yes! How? I don’t know, dynamics, sound stage, ambiance, all I can do is smile. Haha, just realized this combo is like listening to some of my favorite planars but with a multitude of dynamic range.

As for some of my favorite amps, the list is somewhat small as I am somewhat frugal. Schiit Jotunheim, Schiit Lyr3, Drop THX 789. All have significant improvements fed by this dac. What is that improvement you might ask. One word “More“! More everything, and then less as well. Less fatigue, extremes - high or low. Just fantastic through out the entire range. Schiit Jotunheim with this dac Amazing, the dynamics are truly impressive. This is a new amp when connected to this dac. Whatever you have heard about this amp, it is a totally different amp when connected to this dac. As far as the Lyr3 goes I took it out of the rotation for now just to experience all the dac had to offer whithout other tubes in play. Although I might add this dac and the Lyr3 is an excellent combo.

I have other amps I intend to try in the future. Three Woo Audio amps. Some portable amps might seem as a downgrade, but who knows some synergy might reveal surprises. After all I was absolutely surprised by the Rolands and THX amp with this dac. It is always sort of a bonus to discover how much better something is when one link in the chain is such an improvement. This is where this dac shines.

Thanks for listening and excuse my shameless bump, but I only mean well for all who are seeking that special little nuance that brings the smiles.

PS: Tubes! Currently using matched pair of Psvane 12ax7 II and loving every minute of it.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 24
Almost 30 days in and a good time, I was thinking for an update. The Psvane 12 ax7 Mark II matched pair are very well used to the point that if they continue to get any better I will be totally blown away. As it is they are great tubes. This DAC though, makes me want to cuss. As in FnA, holy s#@t, What, gtf outta here. Purely overjoyed with what this DAC has delivered to my music listening experience.

Nov 15, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #8 of 24
How does the wireless on this DAC work? What's the deal? Very interested in this Dac and have been for years with the same Jolida version.

‘I have not used the WIFI. According to the instructions it is an AirPlay device. I primarily use USB or Optical. Most of my music is CD rips to flac or streamed via Amazon HD.

I have been very satisfied with the quality of the audio of these formats and really have not ventured into DSD, MQA, or other such formats. The primary source for most of my music is a HP Spectre 360 laptop. I also use a Kahn Cube as a storage device/portable transport.

Sorry I wasn’t much help, but it was not a feature that I considered when purchasing.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 24
‘I have not used the WIFI. According to the instructions it is an AirPlay device. I primarily use USB or Optical. Most of my music is CD rips to flac or streamed via Amazon HD.

I have been very satisfied with the quality of the audio of these formats and really have not ventured into DSD, MQA, or other such formats. The primary source for most of my music is a HP Spectre 360 laptop. I also use a Kahn Cube as a storage device/portable transport.

Sorry I wasn’t much help, but it was not a feature that I considered when purchasing.
Actually Air Play device tells me everything. I'm thinking it could be used as a Roon Endpoint then. I may have to get one. I have wanted this tube dac since version 2.

Nov 16, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #11 of 24
Actually Air Play device tells me everything. I'm thinking it could be used as a Roon Endpoint then. I may have to get one. I have wanted this tube dac since version 2.
It is a great DAC. I was basically just wanting to get a decent tube dac for my Lyr3 and was looking for something other than flood of hybrid dac/amps. What caught my attention was First, Jim Fosgate design. I am a big fan of the pioneers in audio, the inventors, in recording - playing - listening to music. Jim Fosgate being involved with this dac meant a lot to me. I had to pass on the Rupert Neve offering of the Fidelice, I enjoy home cooked meals a lot and I can't cook. Second, was the path of the dac chip to tubes to class A - A/B amp (no op-amps). Third, and what I spent the most time researching the 12AX7 tubes. All of this meant absolutely nothing to me upon first listen of this DAC, then it was all about the music.

Absolutely stunning! It really hit the nail on the head for what I was looking for and at the same time made me aware I really didn't know what I was looking for until I heard it. It took a while for this realization to sink in. But I knew early on that I was headed in an all new direction.

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 24
Not sure if I'd put this with my main headphone rig (Schiit Asgard 2, Schiit Gungnir Multibit, & Soon to be Darkvoice 336se) where I listen with Sennheiser HD6xx. Or possibly in my office, where it could feed my Schiit Magni Heresy (HD6XX, or Speakers ERA Design 4 w/ old B&K amp). It will be into next year when I could do this, but I'm glad people like this. I do rather enjoy tubed products and have a Rogue Cronus Magnum that I also use regularly.

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 24
I at first had it matched up with dac - Lyr3 - and a variety of headphones - HD660s - Grado RS1e - Aeon 2C - Fostex TH 00. Swapped in the Drop THX 789 and ended up using the Jotunheim. The Black ice Dac and Jotunheim is a perfect match for me.

I really enjoy good tube sound as well. Another very enjoyable rig I have is the Kann Cube xlr out to Alex Cavalli design Liquid Platinum amp.

Good listening friend, and hoping you get the chance to try the Black Ice Dac.

Nov 16, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 24
I have the Aeon 2 closed and the Drop Aeon opens love them both. And they really shine with tubes with power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back