Black Heart Procession
May 21, 2006 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
I know there's a few fans around here, so what do you think of The Spell so far? They're one of my favorite bands of the last few years, since about 1999, and so I've really enjoyed the adventure as each new album, and each new direction, took form. They still have a very unique voice, kind of a mix of Nick Cave and Neil Young, and maybe Will Oldham. But with that quavering saw often helping to give the songs an eerie backdrop. The dark lords of indie rock. Does it for me
tongue.gif

Anyway, been spinning the new one quite a bit lately, trying to decide what I think. I mean, I love it because it's the BHP and all that, but how much? As much as 2, something of a modern classic in my mind? Well, of course not yet, I've only had it for a short while, but it is very good, and really without a misstep anywhere in sight. Great flow. Some very good tunes. The band has never been more cohesive, with the full time additions of the guy from Album Leaf, and the violinist from the last one. And Tobias is playing guitar with a brilliance that I honestly hadn't noticed before. Sounding kind of like Doug Martsch of Built To Spill, and that is very good. The title track really is intoxicating, both musically and lyrically, with Pall pleading, "So please forgive me for this spell I am under."

Love the next song, "Not Just Words". Really different from anything I recall them doing before. Very precise drumming. The guy is good. There's a very cool video for it shot by Juan Monoasterio and Arya Senboutaraj that I'll link to below ...

http://rainbowsandvampires.com/blackheart.html

1141103926.jpg

May 22, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm having mixed feelings about the album myself. Listening to '2' is what made me a fan. No doubt the new album is a solid presentation. It's just not as unique as prior albums. I'm not enjoying it as much as the old stuff. Maybe it'll grow on me.

May 22, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by CousCous
I'm not enjoying it as much as the old stuff. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Yeah, be interesting to hear your thoughts with more listens. I've only listened a few times myself, but already find it kind of addicting. I think the title track does point a bit toward a new direction, which I guess is more a distillation of all their sounds into one, with the loping dirge-like quality of the earlier ones that we grew to love, and the tighter, more complex and expansive sound from Amore. Great musicianship too. Very distinctive sound. I love "2" and "3", and those will probably always be my favorites, but right now this one seems pretty nice to me. Would've maybe fit better between "3" and "Amore del Tropico"? Not sure yet, but I do like it more and more with each listen, although admittedly it didn't do too much for me on first listen. But most of my favorites don't.

Good companion to the new Built To Spill, which also will never displace "Perfect From Now On" as my favorite, but gets along just fine anyway.

May 24, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 10
Wow, I'm kinda surprised at the lack of response so far. Guess this is destined to be the best record that nobody heard this year
wink.gif

That's a shame too, because I've heard some pretty nice records this year, including the latest by Built To Spill and Steve Wynn and Appleseed Cast and Howe Gelb and Eleventh Dream Day and The Deadstring Brothers and Willard Grant Conspiracy and Willie Nile, and just got the latest from Scott Walker and the totally cool new Shack, but none is better than this. Just completely addicting and mesmerizing. Really love these guys, but honestly didn't imagine this would be so good. I don't know of anybody else making music like this, it's just so nearly perfect for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Was just searching around and saw a nice review at brainwashed , among others.

May 24, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 10
I have a few BHP's but really just listen to II...occasionally some Three Mile Pilot. I've only heard a couple MP3's from the new BlackHeart and the video Davey linked to so i can't yet comment with much 'authority'. It hasn't really grabbed me yet but, of course, the best stuff rarely is the best stuff from listen #1.
I plan on getting 'The Spell' in a week-long lil' music splurge I've embarked on in honor of my birthday...so far this week-
Espers - II
Danielson - Ships
the Free Design - Redesigned Originals (remastered originals, not the remix album that Light In the Attic put out a year or 2 ago).
new Jolie Holland ('Springtime Can Kill You')
...probably replace Zeppelin III which I lost last year...

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 10
I think it's a nice return to form (I, unlike you Davey, did not really like Amore del Tropico all that much). So much so, that I went to see them live (with the Devics). Great show. Entrancing.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 10
Six is out kiddos. I'm a little lukewarm so far. That'll probably change. All My Steps is awesome.

Thoughts?

/Edit: After another concentrated listen, I'm not impressed at all. Disappointing, the whole thing sounds very paint by numbers.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Six is out kiddos. I'm a little lukewarm so far. That'll probably change. All My Steps is awesome.

Thoughts?

/Edit: After another concentrated listen, I'm not impressed at all. Disappointing, the whole thing sounds very paint by numbers.

I think the second half is very strong, say from Drugs onward. Not sure they've ever done a song like "Suicide" before with those slithering synths and the energy, distant vocals just breaking through the static. That whole block is sequenced well. "Forget My Heart" is so simple, really just a few lyrics, every little thing that I do to you ...takes me away from you. And "Liar's Ink" has that slow, deliberate mood of the past, with the quavering saw to provide the atmosphere, though not nearly as profound as their best songs. More of a Mercury Rev sound on some of it. "Last Chance" is very dark, followed by a very cool closer.

Solid release, but sure, maybe not as adventurous of some of their past work, though it sounds to me like they put quite a bit of effort into it. Overshadowed by the fantastic new Califone record in my world which was released at the same time, but I still like it quite a bit after the first few listens. Love that delicate opener "When You Finish Me", especially when juxtaposed against the following slow muscular chug of "Wasteland". Don't care all that much for the pre-release single, "Rats", and would probably leave off "Heaven and Hell", but most of it sounds good, and has gotten better.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 10
I've only heard the 'Rats' tune, and was left underwhelmed...
Good to hear that there may be more there of worthy-ness. Did I hear Three Mile Pilot are actually releasing a new one soon?! I'm spinning a great lil' 45 of theirs tonite (the house is loss b/w silver monkey syndicate) w/ pretty silkscreened cover done by Pall. Makes me want more of this stuff.
As far as that new Califone - All my Friends are Funeral Singers, this is a righteous one! Just got the vinyl delivered this am so I'm just 2 spins in, but this is excellent! The stuff you expect from them with odd & shuffling but super-precise instrumentation, gorgeous production, obtuse lyrics that prod and inspire,...just lovely.

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyhambone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I hear Three Mile Pilot are actually releasing a new one soon?! I'm spinning a great lil' 45 of theirs tonite (the house is loss b/w silver monkey syndicate) w/ pretty silkscreened cover done by Pall. Makes me want more of this stuff.

Yea, I've read that they recorded it at the same time as the BHP record, but haven't seen any release info. That House is Loss is a very cool song, think it was probably their last single. Must be over 10 years now. The light seeps in through the cracks in the beams. Silver Monkey and House of Loss are 2 and 3 on the Songs From An Old Town We Once Knew odds and ends collection, and two of the highlights. They always did have some unique artwork on their records.

Did you ever hear the cover of Eno's "By This River"? Sparse, and really nice. I was just listening to that EP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back