Black Gate N/NX Hi-Q in place of film caps on PPA?
Apr 22, 2004 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lil_JV

500+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering if anyone has tried using any of the Black Gate N or NX caps in place of the film caps. I am thinking about using .1uf NX Hi-Q for the bass boost and 4.7uf N for the C2's and C5's. Any thoughts on these? I don't know if this has been discussed before, so sorry if it has(I can't search). Also I am thinking of using 330uf/25V Nichicon KZ's for C1 and 100uf/25V KZ's for C4. Please feel free to give me more suggestions for these film cap spots.

Thanks,

JV.

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 4
I've got BG N 10uF in the C5, there a little too big but not greatly so. Black Gate standards on the C4 positions. It would be possible to squeeze BG NX-HiQ into C2 as well I think, but the discrete buffer relieves the need for those

g

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil_JV
Thanks guzzler! So if I am using glassmans pcb's I will not have to populate C2. I guess I will go with the 10uf N's for C5.

C2 is optional anyway, but I was refering to the LaRocco Discrete buffer. Glassmans boards have space for a capacitor as well, but you'll probably have to use a film cap in those. C2 isn't really worth populating unless you've got oscillation, which is often caused as a result of low PSRR. Chips tend to have much higher PSRR than discrete circuits, so the LaRocco board has a fair amount of capacitance onboard, and Glassmans have space for a cap

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back