Black Gate K Series Vs. Film...
May 6, 2009 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nick 214

Headphoneus Supremus
Feeding off the thread below, I have question..

I'm re-building/modifying a big power amp (Hint: Made by the old PS audio, weighs about 90 pounds).

I'm looking at 100uF caps for the input.. I was going to go with a Dayton(Bennic) 100uF Film/Foil, but I've been reading the praises of the Black Gate Electrolytics.. I'd still like to go with the monster F/F cap, but a K series would save me a bushel of cash.

So how is the K series? They have a nice 100uF/50V that would be a drop-in replacement...

Thanks

NK

May 6, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 7
Black gate electrolytics are not produced anymore. There are several caps that will do the job. If you have the room and the money then go for the film caps, no question.
wink.gif

May 6, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 7
Don't use electrolytics in the signal path unless you absolutely have to. Even the BG NX Hi-Q sounds worse than a cheap polyester cap.

May 6, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't use electrolytics in the signal path unless you absolutely have to. Even the BG NX Hi-Q sounds worse than a cheap polyester cap.

Agreed

May 7, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 7
On a similar not though, most large value film caps (well, any film cap really), is going to be rated for a crazy high voltage (250V +), when all you may really need is 20V ...

Will the film cap still be advantageous ?

May 7, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordvader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a similar not though, most large value film caps (well, any film cap really), is going to be rated for a crazy high voltage (250V +), when all you may really need is 20V ...

Will the film cap still be advantageous ?

Yeah, I think so. The Dayton (Bennic) 100uF are rated at 250V (good point) where all I need is 50V.. But at $23, I'll take my chances.

NK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back