Black Friday Dilemma! Klispch Quintet III
Nov 22, 2006 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MikeW

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I've been wanting to get a decent home theatre audio setup, on the cheap for awhile now. Right now im just using a 300$ Sony Mini System for my dvd player and it's kinda crappy, poor mids, lacking high's and almost all bass.

The best buy in my area is going to have the Klispch Quintet III on sale for 250$ and the 10" sub for 200$. They normally go for 449 and 400$ regular price. That's a pretty great deal, but I don't know if this system is any good, has anyone heard it? I figure it will perform quite well for DVD's but suck for music. I also don't have a home theatre reciever, so I'd have to purchase on of those at the same time. Is there anything terrible about the 200-300$ 6.1-7.1 100 watt per channel brand name receivers at best buy? Like Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha etc? I know they arnt going to be the best recievers around but how bad do they suck?

The other option I was considering instead of Quintet III is getting the Klispch sub for 200$, and 3 pair's of those insignia speakers that are so well reviewed here, the 50$ a pair ones. 2 in front, 3 in back, and one for center channel in a 6.1 setup. I wonder if this would outperform the Quintets.. the Insignia's are rated at 120 watts with a 6.5 inch woofer and a tweeter, and the Quintet system speakrs are about half that size but rated at 200 watts each. I saw the insignia's at my best buy and was impressed with the build quality, mdf instead of plastic enclosure, a ported woofer, they are both heavy and feel/look very solid.

Opninions appreciated
TIA

Nov 22, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 12
The best buy deal is for 5 speakers for 250$. 4 satelites, and a center. Thanks though

Nov 22, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 12
If those are the promedia satellites that they look like, no question, go for the insignias.

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 12
They do look like Promedia satelites, but they are a bit bigger, 3.5 inch vs 3 inch, they also have a larger tweeter and horn, and are much heavier in your hand.. about 2-3x heavier. But I see your point.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 12
Wow, I got so wrapped up in black friday deals, I assumed I couldent do better for my money. But I found a really cool website called Vanns.com and they have better deals then best buy's black friday Quintets by far, and on much better speakers. I could get 5.0 set of Inifinity speakers, for the same as Quintets and a sub. Those infinity speakers include 2 floor standers, a center channel and 2 primus 150's as rear's.. havent pulled the trigger yet, as im still considering a Cinima 6 for 600$ at vanns.

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 12
Just be sure you're looking at price per pair, and not for single speakers.

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 12
It sounds like a great deal, and it's true that the Quintet sattelies are much better than the Promedia ones. Look up at 10" sub, though. If it's the Sub-10, for $200, that is a HECK of a deal, but if it's the old KSW-10 that typically came with the Quintet system before they were discontinued, I'd stay away (lots of failures with those), and at least buy on ebay where they're cheaper if you're going to get one.

Nov 23, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 12
I like that Cinema 6 package with the 10" sub thrown in. I had an iFi (till the dongle broke) and those speakers look similar to those satellites. Great sound. I also think I have that sub in my main system (might be a 12 inch, been too long to remember) Strong performer.

When I picked my bedroom setup a couple years ago, I went with a Gallo 5.1 system for about 1K. Looks like you can get similar sound for less nowadays.

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 12
My experience with Vanns has been very good for the couple of times that I have used them if anyone is wondering.

Nov 24, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 12
I was once told that the RSW-10 (now discontinued) was also a nice Klipsch Sub for the older model Quintets. But, anyways, it was a Klipsch Reference sub, so it should have better build quality and better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back