Black Female Jazz singers
Nov 30, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #61 of 71
Here are a few that some of you might not be too familiar with:

[size=small]Dakota Staton - Dynamic![/size]

Dakota_Dynamic.jpg

Dakota Staton was never a household name as a jazz vocalist. She did record two albums that were especially worthwhile, Dynamic! and its predecessor, The Late, Late Show. Staton does a somewhat interesting if not surprising interpretation of the song Let Me Off Uptown, which was made famous by Anita O'Day and Roy Eldridge when they were both with Gene Krupa's big band in the late 1940s. The rest of the album features a mix of songs from the Great American Song Book, written by the likes of Cole Porter, Rogers and Hart, and George and Ira Gershwin. It's a good album and Staton has the vocal pipes to match some of the intense moments that these tunes call for. If the album has a weakness it is that some of the arrangements are not quite up to the challenge of the songs.

[size=small]Helen Humes - Songs I like to Sing![/size]

HelenHumes_Songs.jpg

Helen Humes had a softly spoken, girlish voice that had an angelic sound to it. I always loved her gently swinging style, which seemed to fit her voice perfectly. She was never really vocally intense nor did she sing many ballads. Light swing was most certainly her forte, and in that idiom she had a singular captivating power over audiences. The downside to her upbeat style is that when she did take on an emotionally wrenching ballad she just couldn't pull it off convincingly. To wit, her attempt on this album at the song Mean to Me lacks the pain that artists such as Billie Holiday and Judy Garland brought to it. She eventually works it up into a mid tempo swing number which just isn't right for this song. Other than this and one other misstep, the rest of the album is a winner and highly recommended.

And lastly here is an artist that comes out of left field that I doubt anyone under the age of 45 has even heard of...

[size=small]Freda Payne - After The Lights Go Down Low And Much More!!![/size]

FredaPayne_AfterTheLights.jpg

If you are 45 or older and the name Freda Payne sorta sounds familiar...well it should. If you have ever heard the 1970 AM radio hit Band of Gold...that's Freda Payne. Before she found her 15 minutes of fame on AM radio, she was actually an emerging jazz singer in the early 1960s. This 1963 album is her contribution to jazz, and it is a fine effort with good performances of songs such as Sweet September, 'Round Midnight and Lonely Woman. It's certainly worth checking out.

--Jerome

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #63 of 71
madeline peyroux - great sounding voice, does plenty of jazz covers.

Dec 15, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #67 of 71
sarah vaughn

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #68 of 71
oh i dont know if shes black or not, i forgot about that part of the question.

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #69 of 71
By black singer, it is obvious the poster is referring to the culture of black people and that special quality that is infused in all that they do, particuarly the arts.  There is no doubt that there is a quality of sound, inflection of tone and word that artists of other nationalities do not have.  So the posters desire to find black singers is valid.  You mention your favorite singers which happen to be black, and they as well as the new black jazz singers sound NOTHING like the Jane Monheits and Diane Kralls that fill the void.  It seems that perhaps you have the issue and not the poster.  And yes, they all have some level of talent, but style....there is an obvious difference.

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #70 of 71
Betty Carter is the queen.

(Of course the Big Three -- Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan -- are no longer with us).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back