Black Dragon K1000 recable
Apr 30, 2006 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PsychoZX

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone here had there K1000s recabled by moon audio with their Black Dragon cable? If so what improvements did it make on the sound?

May 3, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 8
Opinions on any of the K1000 hard-wired options (Stefan audio art, Blue dragon, etc.) are also welcome.

May 4, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 8
Anyone?

FYI: I owned Moon Blue Dragon V2 balanced for HD 650s. Returned it and bought a Zu. No doubt in my mind Zu is more dynamic and provides significantly more detail. On the other hand, if you're finding K1000s too bright in your system -- BD provided a very smooth and natural sound (again, this is based on Senns).

Bear in mind I have not heard any Equinox cable, so -- in terms of K1000s -- this is conjecture on my part.

May 4, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 8
I had a pair of Black Dragon SA3000s and it the improvement was quite large. It still couldn't get rid of the SA3000s hollowness, but it made the bass much more prominent, without being muddy or bloated, it also toned down the harsh mids and highs a bit, making them much more lovable cans, I supect it would do the same for the K1000s. Since from what I understand the K1000s are also somewhat lacking in terms of bass, sorry can't be more helpful, never heard the K1000s.

May 5, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 8
after the equinox cable was installed,it is warmer,(still bright,but not as bright as the stock cable)the bass is tighten,as a result,it make you feel like there is less quantity of bass,but the bass has more impact now.soundstage is definately bigger,with better imaging.

with stock cable,it's extremely revealing,I can tell the differences between interconnects and CDPs,but not anymore,I am having a hard time telling the diferences the CDP/IC's I own now.So,it's more forgiving than before.

Pardon my english,english is not my first language.

BTW,the midrange is sweeter than before too.

May 5, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 8
I had been using the Equinox Hardwired cable for a year and my system was too warm (sometimes unbearable!) and I had to upgrade components to make it brighter, it helped a bit but there was still a lot of warmth left. But after I changed the Equinox into a Nordost Solar Wind speaker cable the warmth was gone! I can now hear vocalists open and close their mouths, there is so much detail... I got so impressed that I immediately upgraded to Nordost Valkyrja within 12 hours (same as Valhalla but with less conductors).

May 5, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Hahaha....

I am trying to make mine as warm as possible while you have too much warm...

Yup,the bass is not fast and clean enough for my taste now.

I am thinking about replace the equinox with MIT 330,But then I will have to bypass the PCB board and solder the cable directly to that two PINs.that probally will solve my problem.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Patrick82,

Looking at you setup in your signature, may I say that you are a "detail" freak
k1000smile.gif
! Glad your happy with your setup.

Just received my StefanArts hard-wired K1000 and am quite happy with the results. All the edginess from the treble is gone and like tyloh73, I was trying to mellow them out. Vinnie at Red Wine Audio did a fine job and turned it around in a reasonable time frame. I wish getting the cable was so fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back