Black Cube Linear, or not? A newbie at a loss
Jan 10, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #16 of 29
FWIW, I went to a headphone shop here in Taipei last week. While I was there, I decided to compare the Lehmann BCL, the Graham Slee Solo SRG and the Corda Cantate (don't know if it was the .2 or not, I need to check). Anyway, to my ears the Solo was the better amp for the HD650s when paired with the Marantz 5003 CD player it was connected to. That's not to say that the BCL is not a nice piece of gear. And I also realize that you would prefer to keep all of your gear black. But sometimes, I feel like exceptions can be made. Sorry for the poor image quality, but I only had my iPhone with me.

IMG_0027.jpg

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #17 of 29
illkemist, that was very insightful, thank you. I have also heard (or read, here) from others who have compared the two, and have mostly preferred the Solo to the BCL. I will have to think about it. On the other hand, if I didn't prioritize the looks of my gear pretty high, I might just settle with the Arietta. Although it lacks preamp functionality, which I find a serious drawback.

Out of curiosity, how did the Cantate compare to the two?

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by wundi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
illkemist, that was very insightful, thank you. I have also heard (or read, here) from others who have compared the two, and have mostly preferred the Solo to the BCL. I will have to think about it. On the other hand, if I didn't prioritize the looks of my gear pretty high, I might just settle with the Arietta. Although it lacks preamp functionality, which I find a serious drawback.

Out of curiosity, how did the Cantate compare to the two?

You know, I really surprised myself when I went. When I first started investing in this hobby, I bought several amps at one time with the goal of settling on one. I got the Solo Green, the Cantate, the Headroom Desktop and a GS-1 that never made it to me due to some delays in construction. I preferred the Solo at the time. I had paired it with a Moodlab Dice DAC, so that may have affected my listening experience. However, this time I think the Solo and Cantate were a tie. The Solo had a more aggressive bottom end (which is pleasing with a lot of my music), but the Cantate was so smooth. If you are interested in a preamp function, you may want to have a gander at the GS-1. When I ordered mine, there were some serious part delays on enclosures. As a result, by the time mine was ready, my needs had changed. So I got a Pico instead. But they do come in black and can be used as a preamp. AFAIK, they have a pretty god reputation in the forums.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #19 of 29
I just upgraded from Stello HP100 to BCL. And I really mean upgraded. BCL wipes the floors with HP100 when used with HD600. More dynamic, punchier, livelier and faster sound. The most obvious difference is the liveliness of BCL. HP100 sounds boring in comparison. Very recommended little amp. I got it used for a good price.

Lehmann1.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 29
Heh, guys your pictures look just fine and are very nice to have. Photography fetishists can't whine here, this place is for the other kind of crazy.
dt880smile.png

illkemist, the GS-1 would definitely make a strong contender if it wasn't for the price, which is around 900€ after shipping & taxes. The BCL goes for around 600€ and the Solo for a bit less (or for much less without the fancier PSU -- I wonder if it makes a real difference).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just upgraded from Stello HP100 to BCL. And I really mean upgraded. BCL wipes the floors with HP100 when used with HD600. More dynamic, punchier, livelier and faster sound. The most obvious difference is the liveliness of BCL. HP100 sounds boring in comparison. Very recommended little amp. I got it used for a good price.

Well, this was really good to hear. Also a bit surprising, given that Stellos are also quite highly regarded around here (AFAIK).

I guess in the end it's a matter of taste, both sound-wise and musically. A fast and energetic amp would definitely match well the music that I listen to, although so would the Solo with its reportedly punchy, aggressive bottom end, just like illkemist said. Many have also said they preferred Solo's slightly warmer sound especially with the HD650. While on the topic of sound signature, everyone seems to be saying that the BCL is really energetic and at the same time they say it's laid back. I can't really see how it can be both at the same time...? It must be like the dualistic nature of light (photons or electromagnetic waves, depending on the situation).
biggrin.gif

Quite frankly I'm almost ready to give Lehmann's amp a go. Unless new contenders arise, the last remaining opponent is the Solo. At the moment, if I had to give points, and this is without actually hearing the amps myself, I'd give the BCL 2 points and the Solo 3 points for sound. Then I'd give the BCL another 2 points for the better looks (and that wonderful knob!).
biggrin.gif
Both are within budget, so the Solo won't get points for lower price. (I'm a mean referee) The thing to remember is that even when I'm not listening to anything, I can see the amp (almost right in front of me on my desk) but when I'm listening to something, I can only guess if I would have liked the other amp's sound any better.

I'm beginning to feel I'm getting close to the point where someone comes in on this thread and tells me I need to shut the hell up and make up my mind already. I'll probably wait till I have the DAC running nicely first, or until I get home some late evening piss drunk and go ahead with the order (that's how I usually order the hardware that I've been hesitant about).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by wundi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm beginning to feel I'm getting close to the point where someone comes in on this thread and tells me I need to shut the hell up and make up my mind already. I'll probably wait till I have the DAC running nicely first, or until I get home some late evening piss drunk and go ahead with the order (that's how I usually order the hardware that I've been hesitant about).
smily_headphones1.gif

This has worked couple of times for me also. After few beers it's so much easier to make decisions.
biggrin.gif

I think that HP100 just doesn't have that good synergy with my current source, which is Bel Canto's integrated USB DAC. It's a great amp and DA100 + HP100 combo is definitely on the top of the combinations I've ever used with Sennheisers. Btw. It's interesting that nowadays HP100 goes for $995. They have increased the price dramatically.

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

This has worked couple of times for me also. After few beers it's so much easier to make decisions.
biggrin.gif

It must be coincidence that we're both Finnish.
tongue.gif
beerchug.gif

Quote:

I think that HP100 just doesn't have that good synergy with my current source, which is Bel Canto's integrated USB DAC. It's a great amp and DA100 + HP100 combo is definitely on the top of the combinations I've ever used with Sennheisers. Btw. It's interesting that nowadays HP100 goes for $995. They have increased the price dramatically.

Indeed, I noticed the same thing on the second time I visited their site, and the first time was less than two weeks ago (followed olblueyez's link). I think the old price was $595. Quite a jump.

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

More dynamic, punchier, livelier and faster sound. The most obvious difference is the liveliness of BCL.

Hum... I quite agree with that. I am presently at the end of a very long term listening session of three amps at home (and rather famous ones), and guess who's the best so far?
BUT, I want to be perfectly sure of my conclusions before I share them with you, so the extensive review should come out in about a couple of weeks.
Stay tuned...

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaféNoir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And by the way, hello to everybody! It was my first post, though I have been for a long time familiar with this amazing community.

Nice. Welcome to Head-Fi. Can't wait to read your review.

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

I got it used for a good price.

I just have to ask... did you buy it from M..... .fi? They had two for sale, now down to one.
ph34r.gif

We should arrange a Finnish gathering in the near(?) future.

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just have to ask... did you buy it from M..... .fi? They had two for sale, now down to one.
ph34r.gif

We should arrange a Finnish gathering in the near(?) future.

Yes I did. And the other one is sold also.
smily_headphones1.gif

There's a used one for sale at Hifimesta if you're interested.

And yes, we should arrange a meeting again. Last meeting was very nice. I can't remember if you attended though.

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Yes I did. And the other one is sold also.
smily_headphones1.gif

There's a used one for sale at Hifimesta if you're interested.

And yes, we should arrange a meeting again. Last meeting was very nice. I can't remember if you attended though.

Curiously, I have an amp but no headphones!
biggrin.gif
Which is why a meeting would be very much welcome. The last one went by me unnoticed it seems.

Ah, but this thread has been polluted badly enough. I'll bring the idea up on the Hifiharrastajat forums once they activate my account.

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #29 of 29
I'm telling ya, try an M3 if you can. It's a $400-600 amp known for performing outside of its price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back