Black Background
Feb 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

furunomoe

New Head-Fier
So, in a lot of subjective audio gear review (especially DAC and amps), the phrase "this amp has blacker background than that amp" is often mentioned. So what is exactly a black background? Is it noise? But they usually say something about noise too in the same sentence, like "less noise, blacker background" or even more confusing "more noise, but blacker background".

Is this just another magical term like musicality or vivaciousness?

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 6
A lot of amps have a degree of permanent noise (hiss) that can be heard at all time, no matter what is playing. I suppose if an amp has very little of such audible noise, you could say it has a 'black background'. This is different than the distortion and noise you get during playback.

With this said, this is is almost certainly another one of those completely ******** phrases that pollute audiophilia. First of all - the amount of hiss an amp produces is not only dependent on the amp but also on the headphone. Secondly, I would assume the ability to hear this kind of noise at all would require a headphone with good isolation, or a soundproof room. 

It's just one of those claims that 'golden eared' reviewers like to use. When someone contests that the 'blackness' of a background is completely inaudible, the golden eared reviewer will just respond stating that they have better hearing and therefore can hear the difference. They will then refuse to prove this superhuman ability of theirs in a blind test.

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 6
I have to disagree - lots of popular and well respected amps have audible hiss or noise apparent even with open cans in a quiet room at normal listening levels.  Most of the time it's below the noise floor of the background of the album, but not always, and it's still noticeable between tracks.  It takes a lot of effort to build an amp that is totally quiet at any volume level with any load, but to me it's worth it.  I listen so much that any amp noise ultimately becomes an irritating distraction.

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 6

I think its pretty important given the fact that IEMs these days can be very rewarding but also a piss of without that black background, even if you are out in public(especially with well isolating ones). Black background can be cheap, its just that you have to look out in the right places for it. 

Quote:
It takes a lot of effort to build an amp that is totally quiet at any volume level with any load, but to me it's worth it.

Worth it? Totally, a lot of effort? Assembly seems pretty cheap these days :wink: 

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 6
Reviewers usually point out when an amp has actual audible hiss. The black background bullsh*t goes further than that - its about really minute differences in between amps that don't hiss.

And I agree that some 'respected' amps hiss way too much. I really don't understand how, considering that something as cheap as an E7 doesnt hiss at all...

Quote:
I have to disagree - lots of popular and well respected amps have audible hiss or noise apparent even with open cans in a quiet room at normal listening levels.  Most of the time it's below the noise floor of the background of the album, but not always, and it's still noticeable between tracks.  It takes a lot of effort to build an amp that is totally quiet at any volume level with any load, but to me it's worth it.  I listen so much that any amp noise ultimately becomes an irritating distraction.

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Is this just another magical term like musicality or vivaciousness?

Nope, nothing magical about it. If you can't hear an audible hiss when no music is playing, it's a black background. A lot of factors can influence this. The one most overlooked, I believe, is the quality of one's ears, and envorinment noise when testing.

Generally tube amps are more likely to have a background hiss due to a potentially bad filament, or pins not making proper connection, or similar problems that were common in prehistoric electronics. Although I have also heard a solid-state amp with an annoying background hiss.

Having a perfectly black background, to my ears, is one of the most important properties a rig must have, because I often keep my headphones on for longer periods when I'm not even listening to anything, and I also listen to a lot of "quiet" music (ambient stuff).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back