Black background headphones.
Sep 21, 2017 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

FastAndClean

Previously known as presata
I like that phenomenon but i have no idea why some headphones have it and some don't, i had AudioQuest Nighthawks and they had very dark background, the things just popped out of nowhere.
I bought t50rp mod because i read that they have that to.
Can someone explain to me what exactly is that and the technical reason some headphones to have it and some dont?

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 21
Perhaps it's superior hardware in terms of wiring? I always thought it depended on the external gear like the amp and DAC

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 21
What about the HD650's? They have an intimate as opposed to expansive soundstage like the HD 600's, but I'm not sure if that counts against imaging. Maybe they have good imaging too because I can still hear the location of instruments in the HD 600's.

There's also the HD 800(s), which certainly aren't dark but I've heard have excellent soundstage and imaging.

The "Describing Sound, A Glossary" describes dark as:

Dark - A tonal balance that tilts downwards with increasing frequency. Opposite of bright. Weak high frequencies.

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 21
None of those terms relate to having a black background. Imaging is simply the accuracy of spacial cues in terms of instrument location and also how dense the soundstage is. Headphone frequency response also doesn't relate to the background, so dark headphones and bright headphones are no different in this regard. Soundstage doesn't matter either. Perhaps what your hearing is the headphone's ability to retrieve such fine details that you can hear background noise. If it's different based on the headphones you use then it can't be the recording. Perhaps the better headphones pick up more background noise?

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 21
Don't get confused with the use of Dark and Black. "Dark" typically refers to the treble of a headphone. Having rolled off treble could make a headphone sound dark. "Black" refers to the background when listening to music. Black background would appear to have no background hiss, especially when the song gets quiet.

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 21
Dark - A tonal balance that tilts downwards with increasing frequency. Opposite of bright. Weak high frequencies.
i don't mean dark as a tonality, i mean dark background, like the space between the instruments is dead silent, and the things just pop out from that dark background, i don't know if i can explain it

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 21
i don't mean dark as a tonality, i mean dark background, like the space between the instruments is dead silent, and the things just pop out from that dark background, i don't know if i can explain it
Black is the term you want! If it isn't the gear then I'm not sure exactly what gives a headphone this quality. Perhaps it's feedback getting introduced somehow? Tricky question

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 21
i know right, is such a nice quality in a headphone thought, nighthawk is very good in that thing
I feel you, it's wonderful when you have a wide dynamic range and the quiet bits are nice and detailed without any background noise

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 21
I think that has a lot to do with the amp and your Audio chain more than the headphones . Just have never heard anyone say these headphones are dead silent but have heard them say this amp is dead silent.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #13 of 21
I think that has a lot to do with the amp and your Audio chain more than the headphones . Just have never heard anyone say these headphones are dead silent but have heard them say this amp is dead silent.
It's just weird because it changes with different headphones for him :/

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 21
I found that a less sensitive headphone tends to have a silent background.

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #15 of 21
Not a expert on this by no means but I believe the headphones change how most amps work. As in sensitivity and impedance do effect the output of a OTL amp more impedance on that one but do change it. I have no idea of the amp they are running and would it make a difference on the 25 ohm 99db versus the 50 ohm 92db Fostex. Just guessing the Fostex will need to be turned up a bit more to get the same volume so more noise might be added just guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back