Bizarre Coincidence...Old amp blows up the same day I start a new amp project!
Mar 22, 2012 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

beerguy0

Headphoneus Supremus
I just started building the Millett MiniMAX yesterday morning. Last night, I went to listen to my new Denon AH-D5000 cans. I turned on my old home-built PRR-Tori amp, and the power supply promptly went up in smoke.
frown.gif
  Fortunately, I didn't have the headphones plugged in at the time. So needless to say, I'm kind of bummed out. The power supply was a commercial Power One open frame supply (salvaged from an old test fixture at work), so I'm not sure if I'll be able to fix it. (Or if I want to)

Looks like my next project will be building a new power supply, and re-packaging the amp. I've been wanting to get rid of the fan anyway, but I need to improve the heatsinking.

What would be a good power supply project? I need +/- 12-15 volts, at about 2 amps per side. I could just do a basic LM317/LM337 supply, which would work and would be pretty much a no-brainer to design and build. Any other good designs out there? The amp is Class A, with about 250mA of bias per side, so it runs pretty hot. The opamp has slightly better specs at 15 volts, so I'm leaning towards a 15 volt supply, although 12 volts makes heatsinking easier.

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 4
For the higher current you want, you could use a pair of LM338.
Or you cold set up the 317/337 with external pass transistors.

This is a single rail LM338 that I use.

May 17, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 4
I wound up buying a Sigma 22 kit. I needed +/- 15V, and while the LM317/337 would have worked based on the specs of the power supply I was using, I was somewhat curious to see what my amp sounded like with a serious PWS. I'm also planning on building a Beta 22 this fall, so having a PWS ready to go would be nice.

I may wind up building a LM317/337 supply anyway, just to see if it makes any difference in the sound of the amp. I started a schematic already, once I have that done I'll work on a layout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back