Bitten by the bug.. Upgrade from Vibes?
Nov 9, 2007 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

defsquad

Head-Fier
So, I guess you can say I've been bitten by the head-fi bug. I bought my Vibes based on regular consumer reviews, and also because it was readily purchaseable (is that even a word?) at my local Apple Store some 6-8mos ago. I realize that there are better IEM's out there (and hopefully better fitting ones with more options for fitment), and am wondering if I should venture away from the Vibes for better sound and build quality (mine haven't died yet (currently are in perfect condition), but I sadly expect them to). I would love to be able to sell these Vibes and spend no more than $150 after tax and/or shipping.

I was looking at the following, but am completely undecided if it's worth the upgrade. I really appreciate this forum and the immense wealth of knowledge that quite frankly, I never even knew existed.

Etymonics ER6i
UE Super.Fi 3 Studio
UE Super.Fi 5 (about the same price point as the Ety's it seems)
Haven't really looked into any others, would love recommendations.

My current audio setup including my music tastes:
5.5g 80gb Ipod (rockboxed, flac/ogg is a must)
V-moda Vibes (gunmetal gray)

Will add the Caffeine Tin Amp soon.

Preferred types of music:
Downtempo/Trip-Hop/Acid Jazz/Ambient/Lo-fi (such as Thievery Corporation, Thunderball, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Tosca, Tricky, Massive Attack, Team Sleep, 65daysofstatic, Delerium, etc)

Hip-hop (not the typical mainstream rap stuff, mostly all underground stuff such as Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Company Flow, DJ Vadim, DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Alpha Flight, The Smob, Quasimodo/Madlib, The Herbaliser, Binary Star, Dan the Automator, Del the funkee homosapien, Kool Keith, etc)

Metal (such as Demon Hunter, Deftones, Project 86, Clutch, Reveille, Sevendust, Helmet, Kidneythieves, Nine Inch Nails, etc)

Jazz/Blues (Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Grant Green, Louis Armstrong, etc)

I realize my tastes are pretty wide, and I'm probably asking for a lot to match up a single IEM to these music types, but mostly its a question of, should the Vibes be sufficient, or are there other similiarly priced IEM's that are better suited for these types of music.

Once again, thanks much for this awesome resource that you all provide.

Let me know if I need to answer anymore questions about my setup or anything else.

-def

Users who are viewing this thread

Back