Bitperfect output from audigy 2zs notebook?
Sep 4, 2006 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

h-man

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there fellow headfiers.

I have done a search, but can't find the definitive answer to the question and would therefore really appreciate your feedback. I have an audigy 2zs notebook card, through which I want to play FLAC files using foobar2k. When I am at home, I want to feed this through the optical out to my cyrus dac-x. It would obviously be desirable to achieve bitperfect 44.1kHz output for this purpose. There is an option in the audigy control panel to output at 44.1kHz, but I am suspicious that the card is actually upsampling to 48 and then downsampling again to achieve this.

Is there any way to use a creative asio driver (or asio4all), to achieve bitperfect output?

Many thanks in advance.

H

Sep 4, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 9
You're right about it upsampling and then downsampling. Sorry, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get a bitperfect digital signal from the Audigy 2 ZS. Maybe if you upsample to 48KHz with Foobar and then output 48KHz, you would be skipping the Audigy's upsampling. Foobar does a much better job of it than the soundcard. I'm not sure, though. It might still resample the 48KHz to 48KHz. I'd like to know if it does or not as well, since I own an Audigy.

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for thhe replies so far, it seems my worse suspicions are confirmed. Time for an echo indigo dj perhaps? Can anyone recommend a SMALL USB soundcard with bitperfect optical output? M-audio transit?

Thanks again!

H
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Haha, sorry man. The exact same thing happened to me. What I bought was an M-Audio Audiophile USB, but I don't really think that would fit your needs. Transit sounds good. If you want, there is another PCMCIA solution, but it's pricey; at least $350, and list is $499. It's the Digigram VXPocket V2, and it's very good.

Sep 6, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 9
I haven't heard of the digigram, does it have an optical output?

Sep 6, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 9
The digigram is much more compact. I don't know which one would be more suited to your needs functionally, except that the Emu has an optical output. I've just received my digigram VXpocket V2 and am in the process of installing it. I'll let you know how it goes. It's completely hidden inside of the slot, except for the huge breakout cable. This is good because you don't have to take the card out to fit your laptop in a bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back