Bithead vs. Transit + Vibe?
Jun 3, 2004 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SunByrne

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into a USB-based setup for work for under $200. Two approaches have occurred to me on this:

* Headroom Total Bithead
* M-Audio Transit (or similar) + Headsave Home-Vibe (or similar)

Which would people think is better? Any other cheap USB DACs besides the Transit I should consider (e.g. Griffin PowerWave)?
confused.gif

I really do need to keep the total damage to about $200 so the ideal solution (spdif out to a good standalone DAC like an MSB or Bel Canto) is out of the question.

Thanks!

Jun 3, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 9
I think it would be cool if you got the Bithead, since you can use it as a portable amp if your heart desires. I've never heard either amp, but it seems like you would get the most of your money out of the Bithead
cool.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 9
Hadn't thought of that, but then I don't have a need for a portable amp since I already have a Xin SuperMicro.

Jun 3, 2004 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 9
I haven't heard either, but I have the Sonica which is similar in design to the Transit. Personally, I'd lean towards the Transit+Vibe combo because the DAC used in the Bithead (PCM290x) is quite mediocre, but you could always take advantage of the Headroom 30-day money back guarantee and try it out.

Jun 3, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 9
I've got the Transit running through a JMT PIMETA, and the little rig compares very favorably with my main headphone setups. With my A900 phones isolation is really excellent. I find myself favoring the PC for most of my casual listening, which is not at all what I expected.
biggrin.gif

Wodgy has a good point about the 30 day trial.

BW

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 9
Based on what I heard at a meet, I preferred my PowerWave + Cmoy to a Bithead, I mainly was listening to a SR60, SR225, HD280 and DT770 at the meet. This was head-to-head with both running from my laptop.

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 9
Cool, thanks for the inputs...

Jun 5, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 9
Jun 6, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 9
Yeah, I've been following that thread as well, which is why I'm considering the Vibe.

Since it's both cheaper and likely to sound better, I'll probably go with the DAC + Vibe combo. Actually, the Yamaha DP-U50 is now cheap and I'm going to see how that is by itself first, since the cans I'll bring to work for this setup are pretty easy to drive, and then get the Vibe only if I need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back