Bithead or AV-710 + amp / 0404 + amp?
Aug 20, 2004 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Imyourzero

Headphoneus Supremus
As you can see by my sig, I'm in need of a headphone amp and my source could use an upgrade while I'm at it. We all know the Audigy 2 is superior to the "music" sound cards in games but lacks the audio quality of even the $24 Chaintech AV-710 for listening to music.

I'm just wondering what my better option is here...I can get the Bithead which would be an amp AND a source upgrade, but I wonder how much better the Bithead's sound card is when compared to my Audigy 2. Or, I could go with an AV-710 or 0404 and just get a seperate amp (probably something like a Headsave META42/PIMETA-based amp or a Porta Corda).

It is my thinking that something like the 0404 would provide better sound quality than the Bithead's onboard sound card, but I don't know that to be a fact. If the 0404 is better, I have to wonder how much better...and if the Bithead's convenience factor of being an all-in-one amp + sound card would outweigh the possible higher quality I'd get from an internal PC sound card and amp.

It's just that I've never used any of these products and I was hoping someone could comment on how the Bithead's sound card compares to something like an AV-710 or EMU 0404, and likewise how the amp portion compares to something like a META42 or PIMETA based amp.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and sorry for posting this in 2 forums but this thread deals with amps and sound cards so I didn't know which forum was more appropriate.

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
The emu 0404 will be able to power your headphones by itself just fine. Get this card and eventually buy a decent amp when you can afford it.

I'm sure the 0404 would do fine with lower impedance headphones, but what about the 300-ohm Sennheisers? I haven't heard much about the line out on the 0404/1212M. Do these cards have an amp like the Audigy cards do, or is it just a straight signal? I've read on here that the AV-710 doesn't do well with some headphones and really benefits from an amp, and I was wondering if the EMU cards were the same way or if they were more powerful for driving high impedance devices.

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
I've heard that the EMU cards power high impeadence cans just fine but struggle with low-impeadence.

This is exactly the case. They power my hd650's with no problem, but are a solid 10-20dB lower with a pair of low impedance, crap Panasonics that I tried.

Aug 20, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeeyy
These are Line Level Output and not Headphone Output.

Hence their ability to play with high impedance headphones nicer. Or were you getting at something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back