Bithead hmm...
Feb 13, 2007 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shoenberg3

100+ Head-Fier
I must say I less than thrilled by the Bithead performance when hooked to the computer, bypassing my mediocre computer sound card. When I listen to shure E500 straight out of the iaudiox5 or the computer (using ASIO/foobar) it seems to have better dynamic range. When I plug in the Bithead via USB on the computer, there may be slightly more detail (although even this may be an illusion) but as a whole, sounds "veiled." Most notably, there is less bass. Is this, perhaps, the more "refined" sound?

Help?

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 4
Depends on what you mean by less bass and so on...

Bithead is not particularly strong on bass from my experience. Its abilities as a source are better than most on-board cards, but then what is your card/computer? I've been told that Macbook Pro has built-in audio that puts Bithead to shame, but then I would take Bithead over the built-in audio of my laptop (its noisy and harsh).

Also, e500 is an iem, lower impedance and power demand, while Bithead's purpose seems to be to provide a decent source combined with an amp that can be easily taken anywhere and is able to drive quite high-impedance phones, and I am not sure if its useful at all with IEMs. In general it seems that using amplifier with low impedance phones yields marginal results (although many would claim differently).

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been told that Macbook Pro has built-in audio that puts Bithead to shame

Someone with tin ears perhaps
tongue.gif
. Yes, I do own a MBP.

Run the bithead off its battery power for a bit of extra clarity and power (higher voltage and cleaner supply). Experiment with the crossfeed as well. If after a few weeks it still doesn't do anything for you, send it back.

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 4
kinda wish Bithead would be able to use an external power supply...sometimes it feels like it just does not get enough volts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back