Bit Perfect with a Mac
May 29, 2010 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JMIJohn

New Head-Fier
I will soon have a 2010 Macbook Pro.
If I use my Aune DAC through USB with iTunes, is it bit perfect or do I need to do something beyond that?

Thanks!

May 30, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 9
Go into midi audio, under utilities in your applications folder, and make sure the sampling rate is correct, this would depend on what audio you're using, cd's are 44.1khz though, and 16 bit for cd's, though having the bit depth be higher wont change whether its bit perfect, it just pads the output with zero's. but anyways, the only other thing you need to make sure you do it set the volume slider in iTunes to the max, so that iTunes isnt truncating bits to lower the volume in software.

May 30, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 9
in fact audiomidi should autodetect sample rate of the source anyway

May 30, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
in fact audiomidi should autodetect sample rate of the source anyway

does it on your computer? as far as i know, the only way to get automatic sample rate changes is to use Amarra, otherwise if you want to listen to music at different sample rates, you have to close iTunes, change the sample rate in Midi Audio, and then open iTunes again. That would be handy if apple made it do it automatically though.

May 30, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 9
I have a Macbook Pro 15" that I got at the end of last summer.  I really like it with the Amarra mini software, check it out.  After upgrading my USB section with a Superclock i ended up bypassing it all together with The Diverter(usb/sdip converter) as well but that is something else above your original ques.

May 30, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 9
Great, thanks everyone.

One more question: what is the best software to reversibly and nondestructibly normalize the volume on all my mp3's, like mp3gain does on Windows? (macmp3gain says that it is irreversible.) I suppose I could use bootcamp to boot into windows and mp3gain them from there put that would be a major pain.

May 30, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
does it on your computer? as far as i know, the only way to get automatic sample rate changes is to use Amarra, otherwise if you want to listen to music at different sample rates, you have to close iTunes, change the sample rate in Midi Audio, and then open iTunes again. That would be handy if apple made it do it automatically though.

yep, it is on my Mac, but then i'm using a pro audio card for transport(RME) but yeah if I change settings in a programs settings its reflected in audio/midi setup and if I play hirez source material my RME mixer changes sample rates to suit (also reflected in audio/midi); which in my case lessens the number of channels I have available in the mixer. so perhaps my comments are out of place with a stock setup.

May 30, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
yep, it is on my Mac, but then i'm using a pro audio card for transport(RME) but yeah if I change settings in a programs settings its reflected in audio/midi setup and if I play hirez source material my RME mixer changes sample rates to suit (also reflected in audio/midi); which in my case lessens the number of channels I have available in the mixer. so perhaps my comments are out of place with a stock setup.

thats pretty impressive qusp, im kind of jealous 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back