Bit-Perfect Rips w/o EAC?
Jul 31, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JACK5ON
getting a "bit-perfect" copy of a cd cannot be 100% guaranteed at this point, not even when using EAC. the best option when using EAC, (if you rip to single tracks) is to use the AccurateRip database.

foobar2000 has a secure ripping component that has been tested and proven to be basically as good as EAC.

foobar can also bit-compare the audio data in two files. highlight the two tracks, right click, bit compare tracks. it's very easy. much easier than creating an archive just to verify they are the same.
confused.gif

Thanks; that should be simple enough to try.

Aug 1, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #17 of 25
Comfy,

My journey went the other way. I started with the site :

www.radified.com with its www.mp3.radified.com guide to ripping MP3 files from CDs. He goes over a lot of the theory and options available. The site was a bit confusing to get started with, and you should read it thru at least once before trying to use some of the information. It was the mention of his sound card and Senn HD 580 headphones that put me on the road here.

A side reference for the way I name and organize my music is found at http://www.ubernet.org , which describes some rigid standards for music organization.

The only "check" that I know of for bitperfect ripping is available in the EAC program, but I have never used it, so I can't comment on its function.

EAC is a great program, and I have both MP3 and FLAC profiles defined, and I usually rip both MP3 and FLAC off a CD once I get it out and get it cleaned up. The only gripe I have with EAC is that if there is too much surface damage to a disk, the errors dont recover well, and the program can hang. It would not bother me overy if it just said "I cant rip track 3" in the log and then go on to rip 4 etc. Hanging makes you have to use control-alt-delete to close out EAC, run it again, and then try and not try and rip the bad track again, ie rip 1-3, then rip 5-whatever, if 4 is the bad track.

Aug 1, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #18 of 25
Thanks for the links and info Bones; long time/no talk-to. I'll give it a read.

(I'm still hoping I will discover that the rips I've done with Easy CD-DA Pro are as clean as EAC. It's a very easy program to use, and the thought of re-ripping an enormous pile of CD's makes me a bit nauseous. Still, if the quest for audio pefection demands it, it shall be done...one day)
gs1000.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #19 of 25
Speaking of the Ubernet, does anyone here belong or know where to submit an application/gain access? It sounds like a cool community to join, but I've been looking into it on and off for a long time, with no luck.

Aug 3, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkJC
Speaking of the Ubernet, does anyone here belong or know where to submit an application/gain access? It sounds like a cool community to join, but I've been looking into it on and off for a long time, with no luck.

You have to be referred by an "original" insider, or something like that. I may be wrong, but it follows that all of their strict ripping and tagging guidelines were created for one reason-->illegal file sharing, hence the secrecy. Forgiving the probable file sharing, their guidelines regarding quality and organization are something to emulate.

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
EAC is a great program, and I have both MP3 and FLAC profiles defined, and I usually rip both MP3 and FLAC off a CD once I get it out and get it cleaned up. The only gripe I have with EAC is that if there is too much surface damage to a disk, the errors dont recover well, and the program can hang. It would not bother me overy if it just said "I cant rip track 3" in the log and then go on to rip 4 etc. Hanging makes you have to use control-alt-delete to close out EAC, run it again, and then try and not try and rip the bad track again, ie rip 1-3, then rip 5-whatever, if 4 is the bad track.

Agree 100% Bones. I have a sheet of paper right now with ~20/25 albums listed and on each one I have just 1 or 2 songs left to rip b/c the program got hung up or was just taking way too long. I try to pop one of those in before I go to sleep at night since they can take upwards of 4 or 5 hours, but it would be nice to not have to wait 2 or 3 hours for the original trial to find this out!! I have only had probably 3 or 4 songs total (out of way too many!) that wouldn't rip at all or i just finally gave up on after they took too long for my patience. Of course, Id rather have this problem than having the program just ripping the skips and scratches into the ripped version like in itunes
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkJC

I think you need to read the sticky at the top of this forum.

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫
You have to be referred by an "original" insider, or something like that. I may be wrong, but it follows that all of their strict ripping and tagging guidelines were created for one reason-->illegal file sharing, hence the secrecy. Forgiving the probable file sharing, their guidelines regarding quality and organization are something to emulate.

It used to be you could follow their procedures, send in an application, and if your EAC log files looked right they'd accept your membership. I guess they've cancelled that policy for now, and since Chris Myden got out of it, it must remain an insider deal.

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫
How does one check the CRC value--is that under properties? Do you mean file size, or is that something related to CHECKSUM?

Sorry for the laaate reply - I've been moving house and been away for a while as well. The CRC value should appear in one of the columns in say winzip or winrar. If you can't see it you should be able to add additional column details in the options or right clicking on one of the other columns. The CRC value is a hash function which produces a checksum (same with MD5) that represents the data within the file.

If the the two wav files had the same checksum after ripping then they are identical.

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #25 of 25
What should i set for the wav compression in EAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back