bit perfect motherboard spdif
Feb 9, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I've never heard of a mobo sound solution that doesn't resample 44.1 to 48, let alone one that is bit-perfect.

Please excuse this newbieish question, but how can I tell if one card is giving bit-perfect output or doesn't resample to 48 if not from the specs ? Some don't even list them in the specs at all !
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
My mistake, you only need to flash the chaintech to the prodigy if you want bit perfect output from applications that do NOT use kernel streaming, sorry.

I'm not entirely convinced that the Chaintech is bit-perfect using kernel streaming. Has anyone tested it? I have a Chaintech and did test it about a year ago but can't remember the results. It's entirely possible to get a dirty bitstream using kernel streaming; I know I had at least one sound card that did this, even with kernel streaming.

In any case, flashing the Chaintech with the Prodigy firmware makes sense.

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Please excuse this newbieish question, but how can I tell if one card is giving bit-perfect output or doesn't resample to 48 if not from the specs ? Some don't even list them in the specs at all !
frown.gif

You can't tell from the specs. Resampling in Windows depends on the interaction of a number of factors: the hardware, the drivers, the operating system version, and the playback software. The Sonica is a classic case in point. Bit-perfect using the most recent drivers on Windows 2000, but not bit-perfect using those same drivers on Windows XP, but bit-perfect on XP using the older 1.2.05 drivers.

Best way is to test it yourself. Then you can be sure.

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #19 of 26
I think some motherboards (perhaps one made by MSI?) use the VIA Envy24 chip for sound, which is the same one on the Chaintech board, isn't it?

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
I think some motherboards (perhaps one made by MSI?) use the VIA Envy24 chip for sound, which is the same one on the Chaintech board, isn't it?

They might, but you also have to take the DAC into account, which makes a huge difference.

Feb 9, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallasstar
They might, but you also have to take the DAC into account, which makes a huge difference.

SPDIF so output wouldnt go through the DAC,,, i think.

Feb 9, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Best way is to test it yourself. Then you can be sure.

Thanks Wodgy. Now how do I test whether they resample to 48 or not ? (no interest in perfect bit at this moment) Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:23 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Thanks Wodgy. Now how do I test whether they resample to 48 or not ? (no interest in perfect bit at this moment) Sorry if this has been discussed before.

One way, if you have an EMU card like the 0404 or 1212m, is to plug in the source to be tested, open PatchMix, click the little "O" button for the session settings in the upper right, and select External Source as S/PDIF, making sure you have the appropriate digital input selected in the I/O tab. PatchMix should then automatically switch over to the appropriate sample rate for the source. With my onboard Soundstorm, this happens to be 48kHz, indicating (not surprisingly) that it's not bit-perfect.

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #25 of 26
Nothing to do with patience, I just happened to have an answer for the question.
smily_headphones1.gif

And pretty much any sound device meant for gaming (pretty much any of them that support EAX or other such DSP effects meant to make games sound cool) is not going to be bit perfect. There may be exceptions to this, but I don't personally know of any (anybody know if the AV-710 supports EAX or such at all?).

Feb 9, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

I'm not entirely convinced that the Chaintech is bit-perfect using kernel streaming. Has anyone tested it? I have a Chaintech and did test it about a year ago but can't remember the results. It's entirely possible to get a dirty bitstream using kernel streaming; I know I had at least one sound card that did this, even with kernel streaming.

It is bit-perfect (and clean ) with foobar's KS, no doubt about it. I listen to my DTS 44.1kHz albums passed through to receiver on regular basis w/o any issues, using 3.10a drivers. With Reclock 1.5 around the corner (still in beta, but KS seems to work already) you'll be able to have bit-perfect even with directshow players such as wmp or zoomplayer.
Quote:

In any case, flashing the Chaintech with the Prodigy firmware makes sense.

There have been reports that flashing to prodigy will brake analog out (not sure which one) so I really can't see why people mess with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back