Bit Perfect Digital Output?
Feb 22, 2006 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Cousin Patty

Headphoneus Supremus
What is this I hear about bitperfect digital output or lack thereof regarding Sound Blaster cards like the Audigy 2 ZS? What does this mean in relation to external DAC's?

Feb 22, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 21
Ok so bit perfect digital output means that the source, soundcard in this case, outputs bit for bit precisely what is in the file you are playing back. This gives you the most accurate representation of what's in the file. The Audigy 2 doesn't do this, because all sound is resampled to 48kHz, like it or not. So if you play back a 44.1kHz wave file, it gets resampled, which adds a bit of distortion because it's not a great resampling algorithm, and then output. It is not bit-perfect.

Anything you do to modify the output makes it not bit perfect. This isn't always bad, maybe you want to add some crossfeed, reverb, EQ, whatever. The reason people are down on the Audigy for it is that the reasmpling hurts sound quality slightly, and you can't turn it off.

The X-Fi will allow you to turn off the resampling and thus do bit perfect output in audio creation mode. In game and entertainment mode, it resamples however does so with no audible distortion added. IT also has a very nice HRTF (advanced crossfeed) that you might want to use.

Feb 22, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 21
What about using the digital out of the Audigy into an external DAC? Is it pointless/not that great of an idea to use an external DAC when it wont be receiving a bitperfect signal? It it worth upgrading to an X-fi card for the ability to turn off the resampling?

Feb 22, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 21
No it's not pointless at all. The outboard DAC will still have better converters and opamps, and thus give better sound with what it's given. It's just not giving the most accurate sound possible. Maybe you don't care, it's not like the Audigy's resampling is horrible, it's just not great, it creates some aliasing. I would say that if you have the money to dump on a DAC, get an X-Fi and do yourself right. It eliminates the aliasing (well ok, it's not gone, but it's at about -135dBFS so you can't hear it) so you can resample and essentally lose no sound quality. Also the HRTF is really superb, better than crossfeed circuts, fur headphone listening. It gives a very pleasing listening experience. It also offers the option for no resampling, should accuracy be your main goal (if you were mixing a track for example).

However, regardless, an outboard DAC will improve the sound of the Audigy unless it's a really bad DAC.

Feb 22, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 21
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Feb 22, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 21
Also note that if your goal is only bit perfect output to a DAC, you can get a card for like $35 that'll swing that. It won't have all the nice features like EAX and a dedicated DSP to speed up game sound processing, but it'll do your bit perfect output no problem.

Feb 22, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft
Also note that if your goal is only bit perfect output to a DAC, you can get a card for like $35 that'll swing that. It won't have all the nice features like EAX and a dedicated DSP to speed up game sound processing, but it'll do your bit perfect output no problem.

Hi Sycraft,
What card are you referring to? don't mean to hijack the thread, but do you know of an external soundcard that has bit perfect digital output?

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

See, Im very much a gamer at heart. I need to have a soundcard that will work with games. I think the X-fi is somewhere in my future because I can get the bitperfect digital output and still have the extra features for gaming as well. I'm probably going to get a good DAC first though and use it with my Audigy for the time being. Then I can upgrade to an X-fi later on.

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougbrad81
Hi Sycraft,
What card are you referring to? don't mean to hijack the thread, but do you know of an external soundcard that has bit perfect digital output?

An external soundcard, as in like USB? Sure, though not for $20. The M-Audio Transit or Edirol UA-1EX will do what you need. Call it $80 for either one. If you want something cheaper, you can look for Edirols now discontinued UA-1D or UA-1A. They are S/PDIF only (in the case of the D) or analogue only (in the case of the A) USB interfaces. PRobably less than $50 on eBay.

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
See, Im very much a gamer at heart. I need to have a soundcard that will work with games. I think the X-fi is somewhere in my future because I can get the bitperfect digital output and still have the extra features for gaming as well. I'm probably going to get a good DAC first though and use it with my Audigy for the time being. Then I can upgrade to an X-fi later on.

If you are a gamer then yes, the X-Fi is the way to go. Nothing works as well with games, I just love mine. In fact, I liked it to much I sold the Extreme Music I bought and upgraded to an Elite Pro. I repalced an Audigy 2 and M-Audio Firewire 410 with an X-Fi.

One thing to note is that the X-Fi's no resampling mode is mutually exclusive with games. Audio creation mode essentially reconfigures the card to be a pro card. It disengages EAX and CMMS and such things. For gaming, you'll want it set in gaming mode which does resample all sounds (which is actually a desirable thing with games) but does so very high quality.

You can, however, switch modes whenever you like so if you want bit-perfect music when you are not playing games, no problem. Personally, I like the CMMS features so I play back music in entertainment mode, instead of audio creation.

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #11 of 21
That sounds pretty cool. I wish I had more money haha
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggaD369
Does the Chaintech AV-710 put out bit-perfect signal through the Optical output?

Yes, it is the cheap PCI solution I was referencing. Use ASIO mode to ensure bit accuracy.

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Yes, it is the cheap PCI solution I was referencing. Use ASIO mode to ensure bit accuracy.

Will Kernel Streaming also provide the external DAC with bit-perfect signal through the 710?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back