Bit Perfect Audio from Linux
Jan 16, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #436 of 544
  resample-method = copy

you can try play 96000 audio with you setting, and see as it will be still resampled to 192000 with low quality algorithm (speex-float-1)
so, i don't understand why many guys recommended use `copy` method, official pulseaudio wiki have another opinion about hi-res settings (as i understand, here is no way for `disable` resampling )

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #437 of 544
You're right. If you use copy method, only default-sample-rate and alternative-sample-rate will not be resample. In other cases will do. Use "copy" method is only way to play sound without resampling through pulseaudio. I use pulseaduio with quite good quality only on office desktop with clementine, while on my home system i remove pulseaudio and use alsa.

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #438 of 544
   Use "copy" method is only way to play sound without resampling through pulseaudio

`copy resampling` on config doesn't make sense  =)
it using by default if sound source rate == default-sample-rate or alternate-sample-rate, you can check pulseaudio verbose logs to make sure, on all other situations pulse will try do resampling, here is no way disable resampling (it needed for playing difference souces on same time).

i usually use `speex-float-5` as resample-method method, also from version 7 pulse supported soxr resamples (soxr-vhq/soxr-hq)

ps: copy is not good choose, in practice pulse will be selected bad  quality resampler

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #439 of 544
Apparently you can play bit-perfect audio in Rythmbox!

This is what I did:

- I disabled respawned from pulseaudio
- log out and back in (so that pulseaudio wasn't running)

That's it!

I played a 24/192 file in rhythmbox and checked the output in /proc/asound, also 24/192.

As others have mentioned I still have volume control, so I'm not 100% sure it is bit perfect.'

However, this seems to be by far the easiest way to have bit perfect sound. You literally have to change one line in the pulseaudio config file

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #440 of 544
Update 2. There might be something wrong with my pulseaudio settings... or pulseaudio sucks. 

Using my PC ubuntu  14.04 USB > schiit uber 2 uber > magni 2 > beyerdynamic T5P (1st gen) 

Songs sound thin, clippy when using pulseaudio in rythmbox. It's very fatiguing to listen. In files with 24//96 I can actually hear clipping noises

Alsa with the same settings in rythmbox sounds lush, non fatiguing.

Was actually thinking on getting a tube amp to make the sound sweeter. Turns out, it was an OS issue!

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #442 of 544
I'll probably need to check Dependencies for the Package ubuntu-desktop to see whether I can scrub PulseAudio™ from the Hot Rod gPC™ and not break other routine updates.  The ASUS® XONAR® STX™ should be able to drive an ALO Audio® Studio 6™ bit-perfect, assuming I use the correct dual amplifiers at the I-V and line-level buffer; ALSA snd-virtuoso defaults to the dual-RCA analog outputs when installed.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #443 of 544
Good news folks running Linux:

If you disable respawn from pulseaudio and then kill it (so that the OS uses ALSA)

you can actually hear Spotify bit perfect using the Linux client. I know this isn't ideal since Spotify isn't lossless, but according to rumors, Spotify lossless is coming which means that soon we'll be able to stream lossless bit perfectly in Linux!

PS.: I haven't found any way to stream tidal bit perfect in Linux sadly 

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #446 of 544
Way back when I bothered with tidal you could get lossless streams in the Kodi plugin with the tick of a box. Things however do change.

Don't forget that chrome does its own resampling and mixing in its own engine before sending to the os layer. That said, chrome will happily output to alsa in the absence of pulse.

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #447 of 544
Way back when I bothered with tidal you could get lossless streams in the Kodi plugin with the tick of a box. Things however do change.

Don't forget that chrome does its own resampling and mixing in its own engine before sending to the os layer. That said, chrome will happily output to alsa in the absence of pulse.

Thank you for your answer!

I haven't been able to get google-chrome to output sound to ALSA (tried: AE_SINK=ALSA google-chrome in terminal)
I did manage to get Kodi to output to ALSA, but sadly the Tidal plugin seems to be broken

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #448 of 544
I'm surprised. Even the Benchmark DAC1 USB only supports up to 96kHz. Try listening to some 24/192 material, and run the following command in a terminal: Code:
Code:
 cat /proc/asound/card*/stream0

When I'm listening to CD audio, it looks like this (look at the "Momentary freq" line): Code:
Code:
 Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio DAC at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.3, full speed : USB Audio Playback: Status: Running Interface = 1 Altset = 1 URBs = 3 [ 8 8 8 ] Packet Size = 192 Momentary freq = 44100 Hz (0x2c.199a) Interface 1 Altset 1 Format: S16_LE Channels: 2 Endpoint: 2 OUT (ADAPTIVE) Rates: 32000, 44100, 48000 Interface 1 Altset 2 Format: S16_LE Channels: 1 Endpoint: 2 OUT (ADAPTIVE) Rates: 32000, 44100, 48000

well most of the pro audio interfaces don't have linux profiles, so the usb interfaces do the generic profile. But all you have to do is edit the profile and enter the other sampling rates. That is how I got my little stienburg box can go to 24/192K

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #449 of 544
I'll share my experience playing bit perfect music on Tidal on Ubuntu 14.04

1. Create a web app from google chrome out of Tidal
2. pulseaudio -k (kill pulseaudio). Before this, disable auto respawn
3. Do your browsing in Firefox (Firefox recently dropped support for ALSA). There will be no sound coming from Firefox

Tidal will play bit perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back