Bit Perfect Audio from Linux
Dec 13, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #212 of 544
  I think everything is hooked up properly. When I leave the field "output device" empty I can listen through the STX's headphone jack.

You're likely not getting bitperfect output if you do that, but I'm no expert.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #214 of 544
Do you use the other outputs for other puposes? for instance force music through you STX but watch tv through your hdmi or anything?

It may be easier to force your headphones as default output and set other programs to play through pulse/ selected pulse output.

Code:
 pcm.!default { type hw card 3 } ctl.!default { type hw card 3 }

That sets your default controller and mixer devices to your STX card. A simple reboot would give you bit perfect from any one application at a time.

The above goes in your:
Code:
 /etc/asound.conf

or

Code:
 /home/xxx/.asoundrc

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #215 of 544
Thank you for that advice! It worked!

I do exclusively use the STX outputs (the headphone-out and the front-out with an amp and speakers).

ALso I just discovered Audiophile Linux  http://www.ap-linux.com/

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #216 of 544
I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop that has 2 USB ports and an HDMI port. The aplay -l output is;

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC275 Analog [ALC275 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

So, it looks like the USB ports don't show up. I'm thinking about getting a USB DAC/Amp and it might be the case that without actually connecting a USB device up, it's normal that they don't show. OTOH I'm not sure about it and I don't want to buy something if it won't work.

Can anyone tell me if the USB ports don't show up unless you have a device hooked up to it?

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #219 of 544
Thanks.

I read all 15 pages in this thread and didn't get the answer I needed. 5 minutes after posting, I did. Incidentally, I have my eye on that WA7 Fireflies. I doubt that it would need a special driver but ya never know.

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #220 of 544
That DAC uses the cmedia 6631 usb interface which has native support under Linux and macos. So unless woo audio saw fit to modify the interface somehow it should be fine right out of the gate. If you see someone with one perhaps ask them to test it with a Linux live cd.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #221 of 544
  Thank you for that advice! It worked!

I do exclusively use the STX outputs (the headphone-out and the front-out with an amp and speakers).

ALso I just discovered Audiophile Linux  http://www.ap-linux.com/

I found audiophile linux to not be all it's cracked up to be, and found daphile to be the far better standalone player running off a netbook with my dac and amp hooked up.

Your mileage may of course vary, and it may be improved since i used it a couple of months ago. All the best with your journey!

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #222 of 544
  ...I found audiophile linux to not be all it's cracked up to be, and found daphile to be the far better standalone player running off a netbook with my dac and amp hooked up.

Your mileage may of course vary, and it may be improved since i used it a couple of months ago. All the best with your journey!

Speaking of Audiophile LinUX™, any idea which Kernel version?  I've had nothing but problems with the RT kernel (specifically Kernel 2.6.11-15-rt) last supported by Canonical in Ubuntu® Studio™ 10.04.4-LTS Lucid Lynx™ - apparently the RT patches were engineered for Intel® hardware at the time, and the Advanced Micro Devices® Athlon 64® X2 5600+ kept going into Kernel panics and other crashes.  I need to find out whether any sub-release(s) of Kernel 3.x will work consistently on AMD® hardware such as I currently use with 12.04.4-LTS Precise Pangolin™ and anticipate re-using with 14.01b1 (as of the new year) Trusty Tahr™ when released to market (presumably as 14.04.1-LTS).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back