Bit of opera sung at Olympics opening...
Feb 14, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore
FIY, when you liked Pavarottis Performance at the Olympics, be sure to get this recording of Turandot. Cause here Pavarotti performs himself. It's an absolutlely stunning piece of art, and after watching Pavarotti myself at the opening ceremony of the olympic games, i just can take it out of my cd-player! Especially "la grande finale" (Tracks 13&14 on cd 2)
is absolutely awesome! it sends shivers down my spine everytime i listen to it.

Here's the direct link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/sam...ng=UTF8#disc_2

I almost got that one, but ended up picking up a highlights disc instead (I think Pavarotti performs on that one as well).

Wish I had waited to find out about the "Tutto" set... think I'll pick that one up as well. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Feb 14, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #18 of 20
The best Pavarotti collection (3CD).

coverart.asp

If you want to spend a little less (1 CD), then get this.

coverart.asp

If you need more variety, then this should do.

coverart.asp

Feb 14, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #19 of 20
I am big fan of opera and I used to sing Nessum Dorma, of course I don't have a real tenor's range. But I have some decent knowledge on how to become a tenor and such and some of the techniques and blah...blah..lah...

I am pretty certain Pav did not lip sync, to tell you the truth, his voice on that night is only about 30% as good as his prime. I've heard Nessun Dorma countless times before, by Pav in his prime time, by Domingo, by Björlin, by Corelli, by Caruso....etc...I was not that trilled at all that nigh. I actually feel sad that his age has brought him down, very sad.

If anyone wants to listen to his "real" voice, get a recording thats made in the 80's, his high C's were like bread and butter.

Remember his famous nine high C's in 1972? I heard a rumor that most tenors who sang that aria before him had to lower the notes to B flat, and even so most sounded like roosters until Pav nailed it that night. Highest note Pav ever sang on stage (not sure how high he could go in his backyard) was a high F. I have not heard it myself but I have the recording by some other tenor, oh boy, it sounded like Dakota Fanning met an alien.

P.S. I am fairly certain that at the closing ceremony, they gonna let Andrea Bocelli sing Con te Partiro (It's time to say goodbye).

Feb 14, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #20 of 20
Yeah. My mom saw him at the Panther's Arena and he was definitely losing it. Was he standing up for the olympics? He was sitting on a stool for their entire concert. Haha.

Perhaps we need another younger tenor. Does anyone else like Rudolf Petrak? I can't find any info on him besides the fact that he performed Carmina Burana. I wonder how he'd perform Nessun Dorma and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back