Bit by the "Audiophile" bug again...
Feb 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

The Big Sleep

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

First time back on HeadFi in almost 5 months after facing some monetary issues and reducing my audio gear to just a few cans. All the ado aside, I have recently become a commuter and I have set aside some money for custom IEMs. Ive been using the Monster Turbines lately and they actually are pretty good for their price tag, even matching my previous Westone UM3X and TF10s in most areas. 

Im currently debating between the Westone ES5, JH13, JH16, UE-Reference Monitors, or UM Miracle. Ive been catching up on comparisons and it seems like it really boils down to personal taste (like always in HeadFi land 
wink.gif
). Im leaning towards the ES5, but I tend to be a slight bass head and this seems to be a drawback for me on the ES5. 

Conversely, from what Ive gathered, the JH16 and JH13 both seem to be well apt in the bass department, but not quite as detailed as the ES5 in highs or mids. Now others are saying the Miracle ousts both the JH's and the ES5 all around so Im a little lost 
redface.gif

I guess it will boil down to me just choosing one and enjoying the audio bliss it brings, but if anyone has any input on which one would suit someone who enjoys Rock, Thrash Metal, Techno, Jazz, and Old-school Rap I'd appreciate the help. Like I said, I do like a good "oomph" in the bass department, but not to the point where I feel like a subwoofer is right under me like the Denon AH-D series did to me...man I got headaches after listening to those things.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 6
If you're a bass-head, you should also consider the 1964ears quads. They come in at $500 and seem to have taken ericp10's top IEM list (and he's an honest critic).
Considering they easily beat universals in the $300+ range, it's a bargain :wink:

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 6
Yet another good looking option to consider :)

Right now the ES5 is still really pulling on me though, especially since the Audiologist I just set up an appt. with is an authorized Westone dealer. Might just have to bite the bullet and go with my gut on the ES5...

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Well perhaps jermng can sway your opinion?
tongue.gif

If you want ruler-flat sound, I wouldnt consider these to begin with. Although personally, I'm going for fun factor over track accuracy for my first customs, which is why I'm planning on the Quad (think of it like the difference between your Monster Turbines to the TF10's)

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Conversely, from what Ive gathered, the JH16 and JH13 both seem to be well apt in the bass department, but not quite as detailed as the ES5 in highs or mids. Now others are saying the Miracle ousts both the JH's and the ES5 all around so Im a little lost 
redface.gif

Where have you gotten any of these silly ideas from? The only trustworthy reference that comes to my mind with more than one of these companies in custom form is HeadphoneAddict, and Larry mentions specifically that he prefers the ES5 a few very specific reasons. In particular I believe he hears less sub-bass with the ES5s and greater upper bass relative to the JH13s.

If you're talking about people who are speculating or have compared universal demos (or worse yet, customs vs. demos), their opinions should be taken with a grain of salt since universal demos can vary wildly from one another. Universal demos should only be used to get an impression on whether a sound signature of a single custom in isolation would be to the given listener's taste, and nothing more.

I have the JH13s and have had the JH16s and I preferred and kept the JH13s. The JH16s were occasionally a little overbearing. The JH13s were more balanced and even-handed, and did things well one hundred percent of the time instead of most of the time.

Remember that there will always be users with vested interests and biases heralding their preferred IEMs. JHA had the fanboy phase with the JH13s, Westone is having one with the current ES5s, and while I was in Hong Kong everyone in the SAR was raving about the EarSonics EM3 Pro (not a mention about the UM Miracle anywhere). It's very likely that all of these candidates are incredible and that you cannot go wrong with any of them.

If you notice unlike in the full-size world there's no genre specification for any of them. None of them are THE classical IEM, or THE rock IEM like full-size headphones or lower-end IEMs may be. Why not look at other things that might actually be important, like UM's legendary build quality, Westone's 90-day refit policy and wonderful vinyl eartips, UE's return policy or JHA's 2-year warranty?

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:

Quote:
redface.gif

Where have you gotten any of these silly ideas from? The only trustworthy reference that comes to my mind with more than one of these companies in custom form is HeadphoneAddict, and Larry mentions specifically that he prefers the ES5 a few very specific reasons. In particular I believe he hears less sub-bass with the ES5s and greater upper bass relative to the JH13s.

If you're talking about people who are speculating or have compared universal demos (or worse yet, customs vs. demos), their opinions should be taken with a grain of salt since universal demos can vary wildly from one another. Universal demos should only be used to get an impression on whether a sound signature of a single custom in isolation would be to the given listener's taste, and nothing more.

I have the JH13s and have had the JH16s and I preferred and kept the JH13s. The JH16s were occasionally a little overbearing. The JH13s were more balanced and even-handed, and did things well one hundred percent of the time instead of most of the time.

Remember that there will always be users with vested interests and biases heralding their preferred IEMs. JHA had the fanboy phase with the JH13s, Westone is having one with the current ES5s, and while I was in Hong Kong everyone in the SAR was raving about the EarSonics EM3 Pro (not a mention about the UM Miracle anywhere). It's very likely that all of these candidates are incredible and that you cannot go wrong with any of them.

If you notice unlike in the full-size world there's no genre specification for any of them. None of them are THE classical IEM, or THE rock IEM like full-size headphones or lower-end IEMs may be. Why not look at other things that might actually be important, like UM's legendary build quality, Westone's 90-day refit policy and wonderful vinyl eartips, UE's return policy or JHA's 2-year warranty?

3X0, thanks for this post, this seems to clear up a lot and help me see the bigger picture. All the "opinions" Ive gathered thus far have been from just searching HeadFi and other audio sites for reviews/impressions, so I do take a lot of what I read with a grain of salt. 

It is good to know that it really is a cant-miss situation considering that pretty much any of the top tier custom IEMs will provide a great step up from any universal IEMs Ive owned.

Also, Im a bit hesitant to lean towards UM because of the international aspect. I know many people haven't had issues, but Im just not comfortable risking this kind of $$$ on some import/export issues. I also have a hard time coming to like the UE's mainly because I did not really enjoy the Super-Fi 5 Pro or the TF10 Pro, and it seems like UE has had a slight dip in quality since Harvey sold the company to Logitech. Again, this is all based on what Ive read around the Net, so dont take it too literally as I may be completely wrong. 

RIght now, Im REALLY leaning towards the ES5 though. The JH13 or 16 both still tempt me, but I have a feeling that the ES5 will suit me better with the soft ear tips considering I will have these in for quite a bit of time and dont want any fatiguing effects from the fit. THis is also where more accurate bass might help as well, as I do like bass, but I tend to get headaches/fatigued from "sub" type bass that a lot of bassheads are going for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back