Birthday boy
May 21, 2003 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nights_85

500+ Head-Fier
Ok. exactly 24hours from this post I am turning 18. Which EARPHONE should I get that will give me great sound good isolation and wont burst my budget. I'm looking under $200US. I could really use some suggestions guys and gals

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2003 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 11
Happy birthday!

We need more than just "good isolation" to go by. What music do you listen to? How much isolation do you need - is this primarily for home, activity, or library use?

May 21, 2003 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 11
Happy Birthday! and get yourself some Eggos.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 11
fancy stretching your budget?

The eggos will cost you only about $100US...

May 21, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 11
stretch that wallet o' yers $70 more and ye can have the best thar is!!! yargh!!! the er4p from etymotic... they be the best thar be for working out a portable with no amp... YARGH!!!

May 21, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 11
Hey -- That's my birthday, too! I must confess I've already opened my present (oooh...iPod), but that's not what this is about...

How about Shure's E2C ($80) or E1C ($120)? Both have great isolation (in-ear phones). People seem to have varying opinions regarding both, but the general concensus seems to be that the E2Cs may be lacking in the high-end whereas the E1s have a more extended high-end. Great bass. I like both, but prefer the ergonomics of the E2Cs. They come in a nice semi-hard nylon case, too.
In ear monitors (in particular) seem to be very dependant on the shape of your ear canals and personal prefference (IMO). Make sure if you get ANY set that you can return them (although you could probably get rid of anything here)
cool.gif

May 21, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 11
Grados are just incredible for techno, rock or acid jazz, i suggest finding a used pair of SR-325's. Etymotics i found to be lifeless in comparison (not to mention the microphonics drove me crazy) happy birthday

May 23, 2003 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
Grados are just incredible for techno, rock or acid jazz, i suggest finding a used pair of SR-325's. Etymotics i found to be lifeless in comparison (not to mention the microphonics drove me crazy) happy birthday

have to agree...
but the grado to me is slightly coloured
the ety is very detailed, accurate and has quite flat frequency curve. the sound is quite pure imo without much colouration.
The detail on the other hand, beats sr325 hands down.. i find myself preferring the etys more and more(er-4p that is)
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back