Birkenstock sandals, are they worth the pricetag?
May 27, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unclewai
Does anyone know if Betula by original Birkenstock is equivalent to the actual Birkenstock?

I don't know. But I do own Birkenstock Betula's. I have had them for a few years and they are still in good shape. I have been wearing them almost daily for about a year since I moved to the desert. I purchased mine for less than $20.

I think Costco used to sell them pretty cheap and the leftovers went to many of the outlet stores. Call "Discount World" in Tacoma and see if they still have some for under $20 in your size. Perhaps it might be worth your drive if they have a few in your size and possibly another family member.

Here is some info I found on Yahoo Yellow pages:
Tacoma Discount World
Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Phone: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[EDIT] OOPS! It is called "Discount Depot" not "Discount World." Sorry.

Good luck.
280smile.gif

May 27, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #17 of 26
I have a pair and enjoy them very much. Like most painful experiences (breakin) you forget about it pretty quickly.

May 28, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #18 of 26
I thought I liked Birks until I got my Ecco sandles. The Eccos needed no break-in and only suffer from a lack of padding, but it's a sandle after-all. What are the price of Ecco's in the US? Locally the sandles were roughly €50.00 and my Ecco receptor light walking shoes (Oh luuuuvely shoes to wear) were €80.00. For my tastes in shoes, those are a steal!

The only complaint about Eccos are the weird sizing. I'm normally a 9 (female). My Ecco sandles are 9-1/2. But my Ecco shoes are a size 10! I am _not_ a size 10 shoe!
mad.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottyson
[EDIT] OOPS! It is called "Discount Depot" not "Discount World." Sorry.

Good luck.

Discount Depot
11013 Pacific Highway Southwest, Lakewood, WA 98499
One of these phone numbers I found should be correct:
(253) 512-2357 or (253) 588-2429

Also my nearest Sams Club (Las Vegas) carries the Betula right now for $35.

280smile.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #21 of 26
i picked up a pair of birk "massachusetts":
84302_250.jpg

once i had the straps adjusted correctly, i didn't notice any pain during break-in. i wear them almost every day now, they are so comfortable. the cork footbed is completely protected by the soul on these.

Jun 30, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #22 of 26
these are absolute beauties.
how I recommend breaking them in is to put something really tight into the sandal itself and pt it under some weight.
another option is to put them in the sun on and off.
I have done that with success.

try it it helps
Cheers
Kunwar

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #23 of 26
If you can find out the correct size, you may find them cheap used on eBay.

I bought 2 pairs used on eBay and it was good.

The advantage with the leather version of Birkenstocks is that they can be resoled when they wear out, so it can last a really long time and probably better for the environment if you resole.

That said, despite them being great, there’s other sandals too that are just as comfortable or even more comfortable than Birkenstocks. I tend to like my New Balance sandals more for long distance walking and rainy environments.

Aug 30, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #24 of 26
If you can find out the correct size, you may find them cheap used on eBay.

I bought 2 pairs used on eBay and it was good.

The advantage with the leather version of Birkenstocks is that they can be resoled when they wear out, so it can last a really long time and probably better for the environment if you resole.

That said, despite them being great, there’s other sandals too that are just as comfortable or even more comfortable than Birkenstocks. I tend to like my New Balance sandals more for long distance walking and rainy environments.
I wouldn't recommend buying used Berks. The Cork on the Berks are shaped to individual feet upon breaking in. Also, there's issue of hygiene. Therefore, I would recommend people to go to a nearby shoes store, and buy a brand new Berk. Even if it's slightly more expensive at a shoes store, it's worth paying the extra for getting the right advice from the employee. Hopefully, they are knowledgeable about Berks, and can provide helpful information while you are shopping for one.

The cork sole on the Berk will cave-in over time to shape to one's feet. That is a very personal break-in of the sandals.

Aug 30, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #25 of 26
For me I didn’t really notice a feel difference between used Birkenstocks and a pair of Birkenstock that was originally mine but that could just be me. As far as hygiene goes with used Birkenstocks, it may be a bad thing and I think you’re correct.

But to be honest, they turned out fine and I’m glad to own them. Yes, I do admit that it doesn’t sound appealing.

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #26 of 26
I've seen listings for running shoes and I can't recommend buying them used either. The sole of running shoes have limited life and compresses, and isn't as effective after a certain number of miles walked/ran. Particularly during running, you put a lot of impact on the foot, and good cushion is necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back