Birkenstock sandals, are they worth the pricetag?
May 26, 2004 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Unclewai

100+ Head-Fier
I really want a to get a pair.
Stores sell them for $90, but I can get the older model from Ebay for $50ish.
Any of you guys wear them and recommend me to get a pair?
Also, have you guys seen them anywhere at a cheaper price?
redface.gif

May 26, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 26
i know people who swear by them. i would get a pair but my middle toe pokes out over the lip.

May 26, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 26
I used to have a few pairs. They are pretty uncomfortable until you break them in. Then, they are really awesome, but sometimes, i feel they were never quite worth $90.

I stopped getting them because I got tired of the painful break-in. Now i just wear nice leather flip-flops for a forth the price.
tongue.gif

Regards,
Dan

May 26, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 26
Dan is right, the breakin process is long and painful. I have a pair of Arizona's that took about a year to break in and they often left blisters on the tops of my feet where the straps rubbed. I find I wear my Tiva's much more often that they're more comfortable. The berks are ok if I don't have to walk very far in them so they've become more like expensive bed room slippers.

May 26, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 26
I agree. Once they're broken in they're definitely worth it. Comparable Mephistos or Eccos will cost you 2x as much. And I've never been a fan of soccer type sandals (especially the spikey ones) or flip-flops (the thing between the toe bothers me)

May 26, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 26
I only wear Rockport or Clark sandals. I had all my friends at one time wearing the Birks, but for some cork, some old tires and a few strips of leather...I was never drawn in.

They look cool with a pair of sox and some scrubs though.

May 26, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 26
The best sandals in the world, IMO, are Chacos. Built like a tank, plenty of arch support, easily adjustable, comfortable. I could walk forever in my Chacos.

I also prefer Clark's sandals to Birks. Every pair of Birks I've owned has falled apart, but I have numerous pairs of Clarks shoes and sandals that have lasted me for years.

--Chris

May 26, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 26
Size DOES matter (where have I heard that before?).

Here's what I mean. I can't find a pair of Birks that fit my arch - length is ok (I'm a U.S. size 10, and either the Birk 42 or 43 are ok lengthwise, but both hit my arch in the wrong place). Therefore, I've never bought a pair. Maybe the "break in process" would adapt them? Dunno, but at $90, I'm not willing to give them a go.

My wife, on the other hand, LOVES Birks! She has some back issues (fused disk surgery from an auto accident), and Birkenstocks did miracles for her.

Bottom line - if they feel ok to your arch, get them, and join the Birk legions. They really are great shoes/sandals, and they can be easily refurbished to like new after they've worn out, so your investment can last.

May 27, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 26
I've heard that you can greatly shorten the break-in process by soaking the footbed in warm water and wearing them like that for a while, but I'm not certain that works. I'm not sure I would risk that on my Birks unless I got confirmation on this. Anyone hear of this before, or think it would work?

May 27, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 26
My wife has significant foot problems (bunions, hammer toe, plantar fasciitis) that limit her footwear selection. Her choices are custom made shoes ($$$), athletic shoes with custom orthotics or Birks. She has about ten pairs of Birks; sandals, shoes and boots. She swears by them for alleviating her foot pain.

May 27, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I prefer Stegmann clogs. They're more comfortable for me.

I don't like having dirty toes, either.

But sandals are better for the beach.

-Ed

I hear ya! I'm a clog man myself (Acorns/Dansko), and only wear sandals for banging around the house.

May 27, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #13 of 26
I personally haven't tried Birkenstocks myself but was told by my sister who has a pair that they are indeed comfortable. I think their retail price isn't all that bad compared to what is offered by Ecco and Mephisto.

May 27, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #14 of 26
I have a pair of Birkenstock Milanos that I've worn every Summer since '93. About 5 years ago I had them repaired, they just reused the straps.
The repair was about half the price of a new pair.
I love 'em
034191.JPG

May 27, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 26
Thanks, I think I will get a pair, but I need one clarification.
Does anyone know if Betula by original Birkenstock is equivalent to the actual Birkenstock? I afraid it is like a lower division of Birkenstock and make poorer quality sandals. I see Betula sandals go around $50ish which is actually alright.

Here's an example of the sandals I am about to buy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back