Biocellulose driver swap, DIY headphone 'tuning' advice sought :)
Apr 11, 2019 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

what?

100+ Head-Fier
I have never been one to be told no :)

A couple of years ago I purchased (here) some Fostex EMU drivers, I tossed them in a set of Koss cans (yesterday) because the size of the cups look close to the fostex cups.

I added some modeling clay to the baffle and glued cloth to the hard shiny plastic cup to prevent reflections.

My question is what tuning options do I have ? can I port the HPs' ? do I experiment with porting the baffle into the ear area or port the HPs out the back of the cup ? are the original Fostex EMU teak HPs ported or sealed?

any advice appreciated if you have done anything like this yourself.. ?

My results so far are good, I'm just wondering how much better I can make these ?

I have read these drivers produce a lot of bass, currently the HPs sound dry....

*almost like a full range driver in an open baffle, clean but dry. some of my other HPs dig much lower and higher no doubt this is a nice driver but how do I get the best from it ?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 10
transplant driver.jpg
woa tripple pic !

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 10
amazingly the baffle size was almost exactly the same size :)

Apr 11, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Try porting, all fostex drivers (dynamic) are in ported housings.

I did not know that, thank you :)

Also it looks like you don't have the foam ring that goes in front of the driver.

good eye, I had not noticed that detail, thanks again

Apr 12, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 10
I hope you don't drill bass port holes into those aluminum cups! I think by fostex ports he is referring to a slight gap like 1-2mm b/w baffle and cups. And some Fostex variants have some damping like spongey acoustic foam / felt, or cotton/ dynamat have been used.
Unique build for sure, curious how it turns out :D

Apr 12, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 10
I hope you don't drill bass port holes into those aluminum cups! I think by fostex ports he is referring to a slight gap like 1-2mm b/w baffle and cups. And some Fostex variants have some damping like spongey acoustic foam / felt, or cotton/ dynamat have been used.
Unique build for sure, curious how it turns out :D

Interesting description of the FTX porting design ^ I will have to try it. I can A/B back and fourth between other HPs I have to compare.

So far results are not so good, they sound a bit like the Koss proAA I once owned :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back