binaural sound
Oct 5, 2001 at 10:55 PM Post #16 of 21
Here's the thing with the HD580s. The actual sound coming out is more realistic, but the positioning is horrible compared to the MDR-V6s. I can tell where things are in three dimensions when I listen to a good binaural in the MDR-V6s. But yeah, no question the 580s are more realistic sounding, but at the cost of positioning. That might change once I get a decent amp.

Oct 6, 2001 at 12:06 AM Post #17 of 21
ok, the damn telephone fooled me three times in a row. either I'm stupid (nah..), had a beer to much (hope not) or that stuff is really good
biggrin.gif

pretty damn cool!

Oct 6, 2001 at 12:38 AM Post #18 of 21
Yup, the telephone is very convincing. But no more so than the alarm beeper heard on the Travis album "The Invisible band". All else seemed flat to me. Maybe mp3 just doesn't do the demo justice?

Oct 6, 2001 at 1:08 AM Post #19 of 21
the 580's have a better imaging and positioning than any other cans i've heard with binaural.

from binaural.com:
Quote:

I have found only two models of headphones that seem to compromise the binaural effect, and those are the Sony MDR-V6 and V7. Other Sony phones are fine, even inexpensive ear bud types.

i guess it's all really a matter of opinion.

Oct 6, 2001 at 1:12 AM Post #20 of 21
Indeed the phone ringing was convincing, but I was also surprised when the woman "spoken right beside me". My Grados didn't do too good with the positioning, and the novel part sounded really flat, the police part was a little better, although he didn't really sound like he was behind me, you can still hear the transition of the sound. It's convincing overall, just looking forward to hear it with the V6s, or other headphones.

Oct 6, 2001 at 4:19 PM Post #21 of 21
That's funny. I am in no way saying I'm right and you're wrong or vice versa. It just gives more credence to the fact that everyone has different ears. That's what makes this hobby so fun: you can't trust other people's opinions; you have to take suggestions and try it yourself.

It isn't like Anandtech where someone says DDR is faster and then there are numbers to prove it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back