Binaural DVD soundtrack
Apr 24, 2007 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

arto

100+ Head-Fier
I think this may be a first ... the classic Australian black comedy Bad Boy Bubby has just been released on DVD in the UK by top-drawer arthouse merchants Eureka and contains what is described in the Guardian as "a strange, binaural headphone audio option which attempts to place the viewer inside Bubby's head."

Anyone heard it?

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by arto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this may be a first ... the classic Australian black comedy Bad Boy Bubby has just been released on DVD in the UK by top-drawer arthouse merchants Eureka and contains what is described in the Guardian as "a strange, binaural headphone audio option which attempts to place the viewer inside Bubby's head."

Anyone heard it?

I think I have as I bought this DVD in Australia. I was going to return it because through a normal DVD-TV setup the Sound is awfull!

The volume goes from impossible to hear dialouge to loud as anything sound effects. I will dig it out and try it through headphones, still I doubt it will work.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 4
I have no idea what movie this is but it sounds corny and most DVD extras that do these effects sound terrible.

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 4
The movie is a highly regarded classic of Aussie cinema. And this isn't just some gimmick for the DVD - the sound was actually recorded binaurally in the first place using mics taped to the actor's head. Which would explain the odd sound on the Australian DVD - sounds move in and out of the aural space in a disturbing way. I'd be interested to hear your impression of the alternative English Audio track (I assume you have the Special Edition) through headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back