Binaural Darth?....
Apr 12, 2007 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Xanadu777

Member of the Trade: Headphile
Headphone Modder Extraordinaire
I finally broke out my binaural recording cans I picked up a good 7 months ago! The stars were aligned so I took them for a spin to see what they are like and figure out what to better next time. You wear them like normal headphones, though they have "ears" with reverse facing mics in each side. I'd heard some other clips done with these in the past, which sounded good to me.

binaural.jpg

For the test, I figured I'd do battle with an old friend... Firepower pinball from 1980. This was when sound chips were first coming out, but oh so cool back in the day (and still). The games were real life then, there was no video games...

firepower.jpg

While my recorder will record at 96kHz, I decided to test with a lesser rate since the pinball machine isn't exactly crystal clear anyway. Next subject I sample higher...

Realize pinball machines of this era had a single mono speaker that throws out the bottom of the machine only. However, I have another speaker directly 5' behind me that I run through a Lexicon short delay. My head occasionally turns, mostly looking down at the machine. You can hear the coins to start, flippers and bumpers and all the sounds of a 1980 Star War esque battle!

The echo comes from directly behind. Since the delay is short and the volume balanced, it will blend with the front but you should be able to hear a distinct rear presence also. You'll know when you do
tongue.gif

Probably best to download, right click and save as here 8+ megs and I figured since there wasn't much binaural around of any length (and I was having a good game), I recorded the whole game (6:41 or so). Enjoy the Darth battle!

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 6
thats a pretty interesting thing to listen too. you should take these things into a forest or something and record nature. That would be a fun listen.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 6
That's pretty cool... been a while since I've played any pinball, feeling all nostalgic now.

Ant

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 6
i'll give this a listen when i get home! i almost scored some JVC binaurals too, but someone sniped me for a good 25 bucks more argh.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Ive seen those very headphoens on ebay before, I suspected that they wouldnt work well. Guess I was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back