Binaural Albums
Mar 3, 2009 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

texashorn91

100+ Head-Fier
What artists have recorded albums this way? Give me suggestions if you can from as many genres possible, Rock, Classical, Jazz ect. Thanks!

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 47
The Milwaukee Symphony sells binaural downloads. I've never heard them. I have one album that I can't think of right now, but it sounds like the acoustic guitarist is behind me over my left shoulder. That's the only instrument they did binaural.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 47
I have been trying to do some research on Binaural CD's myself and I am coming up empty handed. It is kind of crazy that we are all in this hobby of listening to music with headphones and very few seem to be interested in recorded music made for headphones. As it is now we listen to music meant for loudspeakers and I guess most are fine with it.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 47
i have these recordings.

51DhU-B1H0L._SS400_.jpg

519KP1B42DL._SS500_.jpg

51WS47BNTEL._SS500_.jpg

they all sound very good as in sound and recording quality, but i did not hear anything that special regarding the binaural, which is why i purchased them.

maybe it's just me. get one. see how it sounds.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this one:

PAPABEAR RECORDS - From the Caves of the Iron Mountain

I really didn't say anything about this but it's an excellent binaural recording. The recording engineer wears the mics in his ears and walks around the musicians and I believe even records from a boat at one point. This all takes place in a cave where you can hear drips of water and other natural sounds. Tony Levin now tours with King Crimson and Peter Gabriel. You really get an out of the head experience with this. I believe my link is the cheapest to buy it. Amazon charges $40 for it.

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 47
i listened to the strauss/saint-saens again.

there are definitely some moments particularly in the saint-saens where you get the binaural affect - instruments and sounds coming from pinpoint locations that you can spatially identify. but in general, the recording just sounds like one that has very good instrument separation. it's well worth listening to especially if you like the works on the disc but i guess i was just expecting more.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 47
I had a whole pile of binaural CDs. I sold almost all of them. The novelty wears off really fast! The only ones I still like are Up Close by Ottmar Liebert and a nature recording called The Living Air.
While not true binauaral albums, the best uses of similar effects in a musical context that I have heard are The Final Cut by Pink Floyd and The Soul Cages by Sting. (Holophonics and Q-sound, respectively.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back