binaural a drug?
Mar 10, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 10
top8.jpg

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 10
A couple of my friends swear by this stuff. I tired it, got a little effect and it sort of scared the crap out of me. I won't touch it now.

Mar 10, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 10
I listened to the samples on the page.. it's nothing but an array of ambient techniques.. it actually left my head hurting after not much listening. It's layers and layers of various ambient-like things going on.. within the first seconds, i thought to myself, this sounds like psybient / psychill music.. and other layers came and began to sink in.. you can almost not notice the main humming layer(s) they have going in your ear despite how loud they are and how active they are in the 'effects' you experience. It's like someone went around to tons of ambient substyles and tried to cram everything into one track.

List of identifiable styles off the top of my head:

Ambient
Psybient
Noise
Drone
Dub

That site is ultra-lame and gimmicky. The "Orgasm" track is laughable. Some of the music seems like the producer is quite capable.. but indeed what they've gone for is an overload of crap and it's just unrespectable to see basically normal ambient types of music being pitched as this drug-like music and they stick to the gimmick to the very end, expecting you to purchase "doses"

There is plenty of real and great music that feels much better than this stuff

Mar 10, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 10
Yeah right... Put me to sleep. It just distracts you to the point of being knocked out with the frequency stuff. Blah... I used the use the meditation engine on the PSP with the Super.fi 5 pro. Interesting though.... Once while I was using it as I was asleep I dreamed I was swimming at a huge pond at a golf course, saw a crazy lake creature and then awoke to see that it was just my shower kit and that I was somehow sleeping with my eyes open. Didn't really trust sleeping with it after that.

Mar 10, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 10
I did feel things but I didn't really feel them to be overly significant in comparison to all the music it reminded me of. However, it only gives you short samples for free.. I'd be open to laying down while this plays off of my 5.1 and giving it a relaxed, closed-eyes whirl

I'd think something with claims like this would be a lot bigger than it's relatively unheard of status, if it worked

Sigh, but I respect manaox2 so I am off to download their installer junk since it comes with "2 free doses"

Will report on my experience after.. that is, if I don't pass out (no insult to the music- it's ambient in nature anyhow, and I'm tired, so this really may happen
wink.gif
)

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 10
Well, I was going to come at this with a big deal review, one way or another, or another. But this thing is a steaming pile of BS and the smell has driven me into a frenzy of hatred.

I gave there track "alcohol" it's full listen.. 36 minutes. Moved to my bed, turned everything off and let that play. Got under the covers and closed my eyes and let my head start adjusting to the offensive nature of the stuff. (It's as repetitive as you can imagine) I was up for listening to the second track originally. That was before I experienced the first one.

The list of styles I've spotted being employed at points now grows to

Ambient
Psybient
Noise
Drone
Dub
Trance
Minimal
IDM

The presence of these substyles varies from track to track.

Alcohol was a terrible experience. I adapted to the stuff and indeed slipped into it as intended... became ambient stuff. Really all it was was aforementioned ambient layers with this super annoying (painful for many I'm sure) noise that was warping in and out at a certain BPM.. and they would shift the BPM up and down. Some parts later in the track sounded like this was a bad rip, as it kept getting that mini glitch in the music. What fun.

By the end of it, I was pretty sure this was the result of one of the faceless many music profiles on myspace.. where it's some guy with poorly done stuff that he takes to be abstract and still good.. only he made his own website because all of his friends do acid too. It's that kind of low-grade newb-tinkering served to you on a low-class looking site (I-Doser: Binaural Brainwave Doses)that offers you about roughly exactly 0% of the information you'd like to know about the pitched gimmick.

I'm pretty sure this is only successful with people who aren't familiar with any of the above aforementioned genres very well.. and so have no idea what's going on with the experience and don't bother to dissect it because well, apparently it "synchronizes your brainwaves to the music" and you experience the "dose". Which reminds me - when you have the installer on your computer, and you are choosing the song to play.. before then, it says "no drug loaded" or something. This whole thing just pitches this as being drug-like, and all the songs are related to intoxicating human experiences.. alcohol, orgasm, LSD, blah blah- reminiscent of your overly common psytrance and psybient themes. Pretty cheesylame.

It's like some college student who calls things "trippy" took some classes in pseudo-esoteric music something or other, one for website and business management, dropped out of both and made this.

I'll risk offending and call these people normal? The photos on the frontpage show a woman using an iPod, and, if you think of the vast demographic of ipod users, well, most of them aren't listening to ambience and minimal. iPod users of head-fi, of course, are a different thing
wink.gif

I encourage anyone who feels familiar with most of those genres and perhaps also with such drug experiences as are described as the goal of what you will feel from the corresponding song, to check that out and post your impressions here- that is, if you're still skeptical and want to spend 30+ minutes hating your life.

I didn't feel relaxed, happy and social or any of the other things listed for the effects after experiencing the Alcohol track. I was one very cranky camper. I sat in my bed with a minor scowl stuck on my face for several minutes, analyzing the 'experience' and such.

The music does seem to wear away at you with it's repetition and changes in pace.. but only to the effect really of exhausting me. I felt some odd tension in my face around the temples. My thoughts became progressively more hyperactive (more towards my normal amount- I have pretty intense ADHD) with each minute that passed after the "dose" had ended.

I would best describe that as me waking up from the brain-addling funk of crap I had sunk into.

Also, the samples on their mainpage are way too short and quite varying in styles.. but of course never to any extent that could really share the long-term ambient experience with one, so it's not a sample at all. The fact that they even have that up there is BS. The fact that their selection of samples happens to include a track with a girl moaning and talking about orgasming and some other tracks which have beats and other more active layers.. all of these things being far more accessable to the aforementioned 'normal' person.. this whole thing just reeks of one big gimmick trying to pull people in.

Thumbs down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back