Billie Holiday Boxed Set Bargains at Amazon.com
Mar 14, 2008 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jsaliga

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm generally not a big boxed set fan. There always seems to be shortcomings in track selection and track sequencing. My big gripe is that compilers these days seem bent on mixing the master takes and studio tracks in with rarities, studio banter, or lo-fi recordings that may be interesting to hear once, but disrupt the continuity when you just want to listen to the music.

Still, there are times when boxed sets make great sense. In the case of Billie Holiday, boxed sets are really the only game in town. Up until today I had a couple of her later album releases on Verve. While there is no shortage of people who thought that her once-honeyed voice was pretty much shot by the 1950s, for me this is the best period of her career and she did her most personal and emotionally intense work on Verve.

Amazon.com: The Complete Billie Holiday On Verve, 1945-1959

41yJgoZjfhL._SS400_.jpg

A 10 CD boxed set with all of Holiday's Verve recordings has been available for a while. But at a SRP of $169.98, I was always reluctant to take the plunge. This set is complete, but it does suffer from the track sequencing problems that I find so annoying. But Amazon.com has this set on sale at the moment for $94.97, and that price I just couldn't resist. I will cull the master takes and other worthwhile tracks from this set and burn my own CDs from them.

There is also a very good price on a 4-CD boxed set of Holiday's best sides on Columbia.

Amazon.com: Lady Day: The Master Takes and Singles

31wBIjqJpOL._SS500_.jpg

I know there are those who think that Holiday was at her best on Columbia, with her voice still velvety smooth and alluring. I certainly enjoy her music enough to want her Columbia sides, and the collection seems sensible and is probably an easier listen than the now OOP 10 CD boxed set of Billie Holiday's complete Columbia Records work. The SRP for this four disc set is $49.98 but it is now on sale for $26.97.

--Jerome

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 8
No argument there. The main reason I posted was to notify folks that some of the more expensive sets were being offered at a very attractive discount.

--Jerome

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No argument there. The main reason I posted was to notify folks that some of the more expensive sets were being offered at a very attractive discount.

--Jerome

Thanks for the "heads up".

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Well, if anyone's looking for a great survey of her entire career, Billie Holiday: The Ultimate Collection may be the best thing out there. It's two CDs and a DVD, and includes stuff from various labels (Columbia, Verve, Commodore, Decca and more). The early tracks are the cleanest I've ever heard them, and the sequence is perfect. I have the other boxes (my favorite Billie is the Columbia stuff), but Ultimate is what I tend to pull out now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back