Billiard-Fi
Jan 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingkevo25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elite "Banned"

Focusing on cue weight is like saying you can get your car to Formula1 if you could only find the right tyres.

The point of the break is to get a good spread with a great leave, not to hit the cue ball as hard as possible. Plus, more weight does not mean more power, which itself does not mean a better break.

I think that when working on your break, work on technique like stance and stroke rather than focusing on cue-weight. Slow it down, place the cue at the same position each time until you can consistently get the cueball to hit the rack where you want it to hit. Then work on speed, tweak your contact point to control adjust the cueball's tangental path until you have the cue ball where you want it (down table on the rails for your opponant or up table away from the rails for your run).

I've found that making contact between positions 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 with firm hit will sink me balls off the break, give a good spread and a great leave; all with a 19oz Cuetec I bought off a friend who won it in a local league.

As far as a break cue goes, its should be solid for good energy transfer. More weight just means its harder to control.

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Focusing on cue weight is like saying you can get your car to Formula1 if you could only find the right tyres.

The point of the break is to get a good spread with a great leave, not to hit the cue ball as hard as possible. Plus, more weight does not mean more power, which itself does not mean a better break.

I think that when working on your break, work on technique like stance and stroke rather than focusing on cue-weight. Slow it down, place the cue at the same position each time until you can consistently get the cueball to hit the rack where you want it to hit. Then work on speed, tweak your contact point to control adjust the cueball's tangental path until you have the cue ball where you want it (down table on the rails for your opponant or up table away from the rails for your run).

I've found that making contact between positions 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 with firm hit will sink me balls off the break, give a good spread and a great leave; all with a 19oz Cuetec I bought off a friend who won it in a local league.

As far as a break cue goes, its should be solid for good energy transfer. More weight just means its harder to control.

You're absolutely right. But as long as your focus isn't on just hitting the cue ball as hard as possible, heavier break cues have a huge benefit.

Here's how I think of it. A heavy cue will have a lesser max velocity than a lighter cue if the player puts the same amount of energy into the break. But the momentum is similar. (Going back to the car analogy, its like putting the same engine in a small car and a huge truck. The small car will have a greater top speed.)
Now, because the heavier break cue moves slower, it can improve your accuracy, but will transfer just as much momentum into the cue ball as a lighter (but faster moving) cue. This will allow you to work on the actually technique as you said.

Nov 26, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 8
To bump an old thread, I have recently picked back up shooting billiards and seen this thread. Any avid shooters out there? Picking up a Meucci for everyday shooting but they come with medium hard tips. I think I'd prefer a softer tip for control but haven't used one. Any feedback would be helpful.

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 8
I've been playing since I was a child (25 now). I've competed in numerous local tournaments. I have always shot with a Meucci. I always break and play with the same stick. Pick up the Meucci and you won't be disappointed. I wouldn't worry about the tip until you actually learn how to control the cue ball accurately.

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 8
Ended up with a McDermott G308c. Liked the strike accuracy. A friend who owns a billiard shop had me strike a few balls with a McDermott, Meucci and a Viking. After about an hour of different shots, I came away with a preferred maker, then chose a decent starter. Also, got a good deal for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back