Bill Evans Trio K2 Remasters Compressed?
Nov 22, 2002 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

slindeman

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, I'm talking about the K2 remasters of the Bill Evans Trio with Scott Lafaro and Paul Motian, including the great Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby. I've got the original CD remasters from OJC, and then I've got the K2 remasters of Portrait in Jazz and Waltz for Debby with the JVC XRCD of Sunday at the Village Vanguard.

Now the XRCD of Sunday at the Village Vanguard has great dynamic range and sounds very nice indeed for such an old live recording. My K2 Waltz for Debby, on the other hand, which is taken from the same live recordings as the Sunday at the Village Vanguard, seems like it has been dynamically compressed, not to mention that it sounds a fair bit brighter. Both supposedly use the same K2 process, so what gives? I'll gladly buy everything on XRCD if they all were done as well as the Sunday at the Village Vanguard, but at $30 a pop it'd be nice to know beforehand. So that's my question. Has anyone here compared the XRCD to K2 of the various Bill Evans Trio albums. Like I said, I prefer the sound of my XRCD Sunday at the Village Vanguard to my K2 Waltz for Debby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back