Biggest upgrade yet?!
May 18, 2008 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

robbmcaulay

Head-Fier
Evenin' Head-fi...

I just bought myself an Pro-ject RPM4 with a Grado Gold cartridge... this is what i'm upgrading from...

SONY PS-5520 BELT DRIVE AUTOMATIC TURNTABLE FOR PARTS on eBay, also, Turntables, Vintage Electronics, Consumer Electronics (end time 23-May-08 04:32:11 BST)

How much of an improvement can I expect? Just to tide me over before it gets delivered
tongue.gif

Also... keeping in mind i'm using my Quad 34's built in phono stage, what should be my next purchase... the Pro-Ject speedbox for improved timing or a new phono stage? ~£100/$200

May 19, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by robbmcaulay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I i'm using my Quad 34's built in phono stage, what should be my next purchase... the Pro-Ject speedbox for improved timing or a new phono stage? ~£100/$200

Nice looking deck that Pro-Ject RPM4. I would expect it to be quieter than your old deck. Also the Pro-Ject carbon arms are pretty good so it should also be more detailed and controlled especially in the highs. More modern and neutral sounding basically, less of a rose-tinted '70s analogue sound.

That Sony wasn't half bad though so I wouldn't expect night and day improvment from the off. I think you'll need to experiment with where you put the Pro-Ject as the Sony was a suspended subchassis design so less susceptible to bouncy floorboards etc...

You should get a dedicated wall shelf from Target or Apollo if you have these otherwise a slab of marble in the shape of one of those chopping boards from Argos with some foculpods underneath will help.

The Quad pre-amp you have is very nice sounding as I remember ( a cut down version of the 44?) so as long as it's in good nick (recent re-cap?) you'll be much better off spending your money elsewhere as you won't find anything for a hundred quid today which significantly betters it.

I'd blow it on records or else maybe see if your dealer will upgrade the cart? you could get a Goldring 1042, or even a Sumiko Blue Point. The MC boards on the Quad are lovely if you have them.

May 20, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply! Yeh the Sony is a good deack and i'll be sad to see it go, it's just a victim of upgraditis
biggrin.gif

Would you really recommend the Goldring over the Grado Gold? Thy seem to cost around the same price, i'll give the Grado a while to impress.

I've never really looked into the boards for the Quads, I know you can get different sensitivities but I was lucky enough for it to just... work when I plugged my Sony in so I just left it. Will I need a different sensitivity for the Grado, which I think is a Moving Iron design...?

May 20, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 4
The Grado should work just fine with the same inputs. The only thing I'd say about the difference in sound is that the Grado is quite warm compared to the AT you had before so it might be too much of a good thing on the Quads but that's down to personal taste. Also though the deck you are putting it on is a lot more neutral sounding so it may all balance out.
The Goldring is a bit leaner but not much but it's a lot more detailed than the Grado because of the Fritz Gyger stylus on it, more like the AT in character than the Grado but a big step up in resolution. In the end it'll depend on whether you like the balance as it's all pretty subjective and they are both fine carts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back