Biggest audio con. Welcome to Rip Off Britain (well, Europe)!!
Feb 12, 2005 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
You know what, it makes me sick the more I think about this...

[rant suit on]

Why is it that Europeans get such rubbish value when it comes to audio equipment (well, most things... but, we'll keep it only as audio for this thread).

We all know the deal with Grado headphones, and that is due to shipping channels, fair enough... at least there is an explanation.

But why is it that in the US you can pick up a pair of Shure E5cs for $500 (if not less) but in the UK you're looking at nearer £500 (as sold in a shop in Tottenham Court Road, London). The absolute cheapest online price I can see for UK originating is £325 on a sale price...

Sony 7506 headphones, now we all know that they are the same as the MDR-V6 in all but name, so you can in the US pick up a pair of V6 for $60, 7506 for about $110, and.. in the UK the only cans available are the 7506 at a 'bargain' price of £150.

So you decide to buy your products from overseas to get them cheaper (lets use Shures as the example here)... so you pay $500 for the E5c... If the green slip doesn't get filled in, then you have to pay something like a 22% import tax... bah humbug.

How exactly can you get a good deal in the hi-fi world whilst living in Europe? if anyone can see a way... please let me know!!

[rant suit off]

Feb 12, 2005 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 41
Buy the european brands
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 41
Duncan, I completely share you experience. No matter what the official exchange rate euro-USD is, we're lucky to find a product that costs 1.5 the number of euros as it costs in USD (does that sentence make sense?).

I think there a several reasons. Europe despite the population lacks the buying power - therefore the manufacturers fight for the market shares in the US mainly by selling better and cheaper stuff. Then we have the VAT (up to 25% in some countries). Then the lack of competition doesn't force the importers and retailers to cut those margins and make their businesses more cost effective.

I buy lots of stuff from Germany which seems to be the cheapest place in the EU. I'd like to support the local retailers if there was _some_ value added at all. Unfortunately most local retailers do not know anything of the product they sell, do not have it in stock and do not give much service in problem cases either.

Sorry guys, had to get this off my chest.

Feb 12, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
(...) but in the UK you're looking at nearer £500 (as sold in a shop in Tottenham Court Road, London).

Actually, considering the rents there, I wouldn't exspect any shop in central London to sell anything for cheap.
wink.gif

Quote:

How exactly can you get a good deal in the hi-fi world whilst living in Europe? if anyone can see a way... please let me know!!

Well, I can't really complain over here. Admittedly, because of high vat, stuff is automatically some 10 % more expensive than in the US, but still good deals are plenty. And, of course, some import stuff - like Grados, for example - is also ridiculously priced over here, which I'd tend to blame greedy distributors for. But then again, the US often only get a limited model range.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 12, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
Buy the european brands
biggrin.gif

hehe, fair point

There is an irony though, BeyerDynamic are an european company, yet I am (fingers crossed) buying a pair of the DT880s with Cardas cable from Headroom for barely more than what the retail is in the UK for a standard pair.

Ho-Hum... guess i'll just have to get used to e-shopping.

Feb 12, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 41
I share your sentiments Duncan.

I was searching around london and got price quotes for hd650's MINIMUM £300. A DJ shop off oxford street said £370 - about $660... Ety er-4s, too, I've seen for £200 upward.

Thankfully I like beyer's sound and am getting a pair of 880s from germany for about £140 which I think is a very good price.

Feb 12, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
Buy the european brands
biggrin.gif

see my siganture.

Feb 12, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 41
On the flip side, when I was looking for a vintage turntable, the UK seems to have cornered the market! You guys have the best home-grown audio in the world (Meridian, SME, B&W...) They MAKE Senns in Ireland. You have/had the best music. I wouldn't weep over Grado (particularlly Grado) or dumb old Shures. Just find someone here to stick a pair inside a second hand sweater and ship them to you under the table. Hell, I'll do it. But be prepared to be sending me back a set of LS3/5a's!

Feb 12, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 41
I think that the prices of the products are related in some way with the income people make in the area, in UK usually you get paid a lot more than here in US for the equivalent same job (at least that is what I have ehard, correct me if I'm wrong) The cost of life increases in general in the way people get more income, not only headhones, you paid more for the gasoline, watches, clothes, shoes, etc.....to a certain point, maybe the case of headphones also has to do with the marketing, but this is a general rule....

Feb 12, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
And, of course, some import stuff - like Grados, for example - is also ridiculously priced over here, which I'd tend to blame greedy distributors for.

Tell me about it. Benchmark DAC1 1626$ vs. 975$. Sheesh.

Feb 12, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 41
Sovkiller.

You may have a point there... I know you guys in the US have to pay for your own medical care, where here - we don't (other than in taxes)... so I guess there are plusses and minuses to everything

What would be an 'average' salary in the US for someone working as, lets say - a data analyst, or a shop worker?

That might put things into a clearer perspective.

Feb 12, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #14 of 41
There are bargains to be found in the UK Duncan but seldom in the Hi-Fi world where they tend keep the prices at RRP (especially UK high end brands) You can quite easily haggle a good deal on Japanese mass market gear... just phone the likes of Hyper-Fi and good old Mr. Simon (he's been there for donkey years) will cut prices to the bone. Most of their stuff is ex demo so if you don't mind that present him with a really low starting figure and he'll usually meet you half way
smily_headphones1.gif

Another route to go down is DIY, great savings can be made and you've got something unique (ie you've made it yourself) I tend to avoid the UK audio boutiques as they won't knock a penny off of the price... Great places to audition gear but not good places to buy.

Feb 12, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Sovkiller.

You may have a point there... I know you guys in the US have to pay for your own medical care, where here - we don't (other than in taxes)... so I guess there are plusses and minuses to everything

What would be an 'average' salary in the US for someone working as, lets say - a data analyst, or a shop worker?

That might put things into a clearer perspective.

Don't forget the cost of prescription drugs here in the USA. You really get them at bargain prices, and here they are only partially covered by our insurance at best. I'd rather spend a little more on audio if I could get all that medication at lower cost. I can live with less audio equipment. I'm not sure whether I can survive without medication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back