Bigger Gauge Wire in Grado 225 and Up ?
Mar 27, 2007 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EdT

100+ Head-Fier
I noticed the hollow tubes leading from the Y to the cups is filled pretty snug on my SR325i compared to my SR80, so are the wires a bigger gauge on the higher end Grados ?

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the answer is on the back of the pizza box

Never noticed they have the AWG listed for each model, will check.

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 8
Hrmm, no AWG info but on my HF-1 box, I see:
UHPLC copper connecting cord -> RS1/RS2/SR325/SR225
Standard copper connecting cord -> SR125/80/60/40

And on my MS2i box, I see:
UHPLC copper connecting cord -> MS1/MS2/MSPro

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiroZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hrmm, no AWG info but on my HF-1 box, I see:
UHPLC copper connecting cord -> RS1/RS2/SR325/SR225
Standard copper connecting cord -> SR125/80/60/40

And on my MS2i box, I see:
UHPLC copper connecting cord -> MS1/MS2/MSPro

Yup, same boxes for both my SR80 and SR325i boxes.

So no AWG indicated and the tubes are defintely fuller on my SR325i, can't even pinch them together like on my SR80's.

Logically there should only be 2 wires in each tube. The hollow tubes are another subject of discussion on why they are used instead of flexible PVC like the main cord, some say they add to the sonic, I doubt that is the case.

Can some hardcore Grado boy chime in on this ?

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 8
The gauge is the same across all the Grado Headphones. Same gauge- different copper.

The reason you may be feeling a 'thicker' cable running from the 'Y' to the drivers may be because of the wires twisting inside the shielding- this happens with most grado's and is reversible if you rotate the driver to the opposite direction of the twist.

Otherwise, this issue does not alter the headphones sonically- just aesthetics.

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The gauge is the same across all the Grado Headphones. Same gauge- different copper.

The reason you may be feeling a 'thicker' cable running from the 'Y' to the drivers may be because of the wires twisting inside the shielding- this happens with most grado's and is reversible if you rotate the driver to the opposite direction of the twist.

Otherwise, this issue does not alter the headphones sonically- just aesthetics.

Ok, that could be it, its just because I got it like that fresh out of the box. I am scared I might damage it if I twist it some more

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 8
Ive seen some pretty far twisted grado's- those cables wont damage. Try twisting it one way- it it dosent improve, try a few turns the other- if nothing happens then thats the way its going to stay.

Its not uncommon for Grado's to have this out of the box. My HP-2's have been babied and they even have this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back