Big sealed over-ear cans for rock/metal that sound good unamplified
Aug 15, 2016 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mookid_

New Head-Fier
Looking for some large comfy sealed over-ear headphones for mostly metal/heavy rock listening. They won't be paired with an amp. I usually buy used so anything that runs $80-$100 used on eBay is ideal.

Currently considering the Beyerdynamic DT770 / 80ohm because it looks huge and comfortable enough. The Shure SRH440 could also be had for below my price range too.

Recently got a Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 that I thought was simply too small for my ears; didn't quite seal. Had a Sennheiser HD380 that I got rid of because it sounded canned and lacked low end. I have some Koss Pro4S that I like a lot, surprisingly. Also I'm a huge Grado SR60 fan but I need isolation in this case.

Thanks!

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 13
DT770-80 is a good headphone, but it really needs amplification to shine. Consider the 32 Ohm version or even the DT770i which is 16 Ohm (available at GuitarCenter) if you really don't want to amplify them.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 13

They won't be paired with a dedicated amp.

ftfy 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 13
DT770-80 is a good headphone, but it really needs amplification to shine. Consider the 32 Ohm version or even the DT770i which is 16 Ohm (available at GuitarCenter) if you really don't want to amplify them.

I've seen plenty of posts saying the 80 is fine with iPods/laptops... would you say an unamplified 32 would sound much better than an unamplified 80? (while the 80 would obviously sound better if both were amplified)?

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 13
I've seen plenty of posts saying the 80 is fine with iPods/laptops... would you say an unamplified 32 would sound much better than an unamplified 80? (while the 80 would obviously sound better if both were amplified)?

The 80 will definitely work directly from an iPod or iPhone, but it won't get enough power to really shine. There is a very noticeable difference between unamplified and amplified in terms of the fullness of the sound.

I can't say for certain that the 32 or 16 would sound better, because I've not heard them to compare to the 80. Best guess is yes, either the 32 Ohm or 16 Ohm will sound better from the same unamped source.

Not sure where you are located (going to guess Minnesota, but I could be wrong); but if there is a Guitar Center near you, go in there with your iPod and ask if you can try both the DT770-80 and DT770i. Chances are they'll let you, especially if you buy from them (they price match Amazon). That will let you know for sure if the sound is for you and if one sounds better unamped than the other.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 13

It depends on your listening volume. If you like it loud, you may need an amp.

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 13
  Looking for some large comfy sealed over-ear headphones for mostly metal/heavy rock listening. They won't be paired with an amp. I usually buy used so anything that runs $80-$100 used on eBay is ideal.

Currently considering the Beyerdynamic DT770 / 80ohm because it looks huge and comfortable enough. The Shure SRH440 could also be had for below my price range too.

Recently got a Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 that I thought was simply too small for my ears; didn't quite seal. Had a Sennheiser HD380 that I got rid of because it sounded canned and lacked low end. I have some Koss Pro4S that I like a lot, surprisingly. Also I'm a huge Grado SR60 fan but I need isolation in this case.

Thanks!

Used to own DT770 250 ohm. For rock and metal(about 90% of what I listen to) the DT770 highs were too piercing and mids WAY too recessed.

If youre like me you want those guitars screaming,not buried in the back.That being said I dont know of a closed back headphone in your price range that I would recommend for metal.

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterzero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If youre like me you want those guitars screaming,not buried in the back.That being said I dont know of a closed back headphone in your price range that I would recommend for metal.

There's the Superlux HD660 (and semi-open HD330; sealed HD660 has stronger low bass) with a Grado-like response, ie, peaks and plateaus in the midrange and upper bass (and unfortunately also peaks in the treble).

That said, the stock earpads are too thin and the opening is quite narrow, so I got third party faux leather replacement earpads for the DT770 (by Bropads on Amazon). They fit well though you really need to work them when mounting onto the cups, but these felt like they tamed all those peaks, including the ones in the midrange. They sound more like a less exciting, less peaky SR60, whereas the stock sounded a little bit more like the SR80 but with stronger bass.

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #11 of 13

whoa, these look super cool! $35 shipped and they sound like Grados, chuck a $5 velour replacement pad from Ebay on there and for $40 I have something that sounds like Grado but has DT770/250 comfort and isolation? Sounds too good to be true...

One way to preserve the sound after getting thicker ads with wider center opening is to adjust the fit. Make it a little tighter to keep the drivers a bit closer to your ears, then just loosen them a little bit when the wider earpads are broken in in case your earlobes are hitting anything.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #12 of 13
those 
Superlux HD660 sound like they definitely need an amp, dang...

I was considering the Superlux HD662F but probably just gonna go with the good ol Shure SRH440 with the 840 earpad mod.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 13
  those 
Superlux HD660 sound like they definitely need an amp, dang...

I have the semi-open HD330, and even with 120ohms and 93dB efficiency, they work fine with my Xonar U3 (which is what I usually use it with - gaming on my desktop rig), my Ibasso D-Zero or direct out of my Acer laptop (if my ears are itchy from my IEMs), my iPad, and my Galaxy Note 3. The HD660 will have slightly better isolation so there's a little less ambient noise getting through. As long as you don't crank it up too loud with any decent smartphone (and I never really had to), they'll work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back