Big problem upsampling to DSD 8X
Mar 2, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #16 of 23
I put up the wiki page. I don’t know why this is in controversy. Let’s just agree to disagree.

Mar 2, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 23
Well bad news. It looks like trying this has destroyed the Gustard! I have not returned the IDSD Pro Signature yet. Not only does it convert to 1024 it is real tubes. I was worried the tubes were difficult to replace. What do you guys think about this thing? It sounds insane.

Mar 2, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #18 of 23
Well bad news. It looks like trying this has destroyed the Gustard! I have not returned the IDSD Pro Signature yet. Not only does it convert to 1024 it is real tubes. I was worried the tubes were difficult to replace. What do you guys think about this thing? It sounds insane.
Because DSD512 is very demanding, that even AK4499EQ in itself can only perform DSD256 in it conversion stage . So 128X Oversampling of NOS is 128x2=256.

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/AKM Semiconductor Inc. PDFs/AK4499_PB_12-3-18.pdf

6281A704-884A-40DA-A0AF-C1BE9A137F0D.jpeg

The most High End DAC chips can only perform upto DSD256 at the most

So when using CPU together with an algorithms to convert upto DSD512 properly, it is very demanding. That some systems may take an hour to offline convert it, let alone on the fly. This is why I wanted to bring in the differences between DSD Rate, conversion, sampling etc…

All of the DSD that is higher than DSD256 is already beyond the limitations of the current flagship chips set from AKM/ESS.

If you want to listen to DSD512, better do it offline conversions. Otherwise, stick to DSD256 for the current limitations of the current Chips processing power

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #19 of 23
Well heck the IFI remasters to 1024 on the fly. It costs $3250. The Emm Labs is 30 grand and it is huge. I am rather disappointed that trying this destroyed a $1500 DAC. Does anyone know any way I can unlock it? It is jammed up. I get the math now however. Thanks for explaining it.

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #20 of 23
What about calling tech support? I am old fashioned...

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #22 of 23
Here is some interesting info. The Gustard can do 16X with its two DAC chips. Jriver can do 16X with a plugin. My laptop has the current best I9 CPU. I ran the sniffer for one hour. In one hour the audio had very miner hiccups. The highest the CPU reached causing a hiccup was 78% for .000003 seconds. Generally, it did not exceed 21%. Do you know any way I could cut down the CPU intensity? The machine is set to maximum performance.

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #23 of 23
Don't really know where to start, almost all of what you stated is incorrect.
The number 64 derived from 32 bit depths. This 32 bit Standard is NyQuist standard which is when sampling twice the 16/44.1 to meet NyQuist theory.
No, the number 64 has nothing to do with bit depth and Nyquist didn't even mention bits. In fact the first published use of the term (computer) "bits" didn't occur until 20 years after Nyquist published his theory. And, 32bit is not a standard, 16bit was the standard for many years and then 24bit. When sampling twice 16/44.1, the result is 16/88.2.
So, Oversampling starting out from NyQuist which puts the bit at 16X2 = DSD64 ... So, DSD64 is the very first Rate of DSD format.
Again it has nothing to do with bits. DSD64, the rate used for SACD had a bit depth of just 1bit, not 64bits or 32bits.
Upsampling is when you increase the quantizations of bit depths and or original frequencies ,
No, upsampling is just "upping" the sample rate, nothing to do with bit depths and nothing to do with the original frequencies either. If you increase the frequencies by 16x the result would be silence because even the bass frequencies would be in the ultrasonic range!
[1] for example upsampled from 44.1Khz into 88.2Khz. The sampling rate will have been changed. Or [2] you can upsampled 16/44.1 into 24/44.1
1. Yes, an example of 2X upsampling.
2. No, the sample rate hasn't changed, it's 44.1 in both cases.
Conversions is when multi bit binary info is being modulated by sigma delta to become Square Waves before it becomes Analog waves. Digital to Analog conversion

All PCM will have to be converted into Square Wave before it can become Music.

Therefore, DSD is not only a format, but it is an Uncompressed digital music, where as PCM is Compressed digital music, which requires modulations to be uncompressed (DSD) before it become music
No, there are no square waves in PCM, either before, during or after conversion. DSD is only a format, it is not compressed and neither is PCM, although in a sense you might describe DSD as compressed because at 1bit (or a few bits) it has a very restricted dynamic range that requires aggressive noise-shaped dither.
No wonder you misunderstand, your reference is just packed with nonsense. He doesn't even get the basic history right, let alone his explanations of how it works. Apparently Edison's wax cylinder phonograph was flawless, vinyl was a step backwards in fidelity and digital a further step backwards. Sure, and a modern supercar is several steps backwards from a donkey. How does anyone believe this stuff?

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back