Big Platform Upgrades Coming to Head-Fi Very Soon!
May 6, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #136 of 159

Quote:
Not sure I understand the utility of "reply" vs "advanced reply"

The functionality in the quick reply and advanced reply are both the same except the advanced reply is a bigger box in case you're embedding lots of images, etc. In advanced reply, you'll also see the last 10 posts in reverse chronological order below the reply area. Other than that, they're pretty much the same (like on the old platform, too).

May 6, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #137 of 159
Jude, I'm a usability NUT!!!  In general me likes!!!!

May 6, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #138 of 159

Quote:
The transition was done smoothly, I'm not too much disoriented. Is there any way to disable the right panel with tags, review, etc.? It takes almost the third of my MacBook screen and it's not stuff I'm really interested in, the discussion is where the meat of the forum really is.

There's not currently a way to disable the right hand column but the goal is that as tags are added and more content is generated, that column will fill up with relevant related threads, reviews, etc. that you'll hopefully be interested in.

Additionally, in the My Profile area, you can enable full width, which may help, depending on your MacBook's horizontal resolution.

May 6, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #140 of 159
I assume the blogs have not been transferred yet but will be available later?
I did like to check Sasaki's blog now and then, which is not showing anythying at the moment.

May 6, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #141 of 159
Are we still going to have the ability to be a contributer? I didnt see a place to do that. Also, do we not have friends list anymore?

May 6, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #142 of 159

Quote:
I assume the blogs have not been transferred yet but will be available later?
I did like to check Sasaki's blog now and then, which is not showing anythying at the moment.

There is currently no native blogging platform.  And the import of the blog content should happen in the next 24 to 48 hours.  With the exception of four bloggers currently (LFF, Sasaki, Currawong and me), all the rest of the blog content will be imported into the subject-appropriate sub-forums.  The first three bloggers were continued into their own sub-forum blogs based on activity.  And mine was continued into its own sub-forum blog because I took administrator's privilege.  
wink.gif
   And I will be blogging again.  We may add more over time.

We're still discussing whether or not to bring a dedicated blogging functionality to this platform or not, but, as of now, there are no solid plans that I'm aware of.

May 6, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #144 of 159

Quote:
Are we still going to have the ability to be a contributer? I didnt see a place to do that.

Truth be told, the decision on how that's going to be handled hasn't been finalized yet.  Those members who were Contributing Members do have Contributor badges now.  And those who were Contributing Member 3 and Contributing Member 4 in the old system should have the ability to switch off most ads (like in the old system)--if that ability is not active yet for those who were CM3's and CM4's, it should be very soon.

May 6, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #145 of 159

Quote:
Just a quick question;
looking in my PMs, I don't see anything about how much space I have left. What is the limit now?

Thanks!

The limit is currently 15 messages.

I keed, I keed.  In the new platform here, there are no limits, to the best of my knowledge.

May 6, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #146 of 159
3 minor issues so far, all while editing posts in the latest firefox:

• right-click spell-checker doesn't suggest misspelled words
  • right-click cut+paste not possible without browser security adjustment (this may fix spelling too, haven't tried)
  • Cursor disappears from time to time, even though you can still edit

One more thing...somebody mentioned considerably slower browsing on their iphone.  If making a site more handheld friendly is even possible given the current format and/or is on the drawing board, then count me in as wanting to see it sooner rather than later.

A common method is seeing  m or mobile added to the site name, for example http://m.espn.com is considerably more handheld browser friendly than the original http://espn.com.

While such an improvement may not seem a high priority now, and I'm sure you've got your hands full as it is with the new upgrade, it's hard not to predict that handheld browser use will go anywhere but way, way up in the future, tech-gadget lovers like many of us head-fiers likely leading the way. 
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #147 of 159
thanks Jude,

hopefully it won't be difficult to find others blog on the site, especially Kirosia's 
biggrin.gif

oh, and love the fact that there are no limits on the PM numbers!!

Quote:

There is currently no native blogging platform.  And the import of the blog content should happen in the next 24 to 48 hours.  With the exception of four bloggers currently (LFF, Sasaki, Currawong and me), all the rest of the blog content will be imported into the subject-appropriate sub-forums.  The first three bloggers were continued into their own sub-forum blogs based on activity.  And mine was continued into its own sub-forum blog because I took administrator's privilege.  
wink.gif
   And I will be blogging again.  We may add more over time.

We're still discussing whether or not to bring a dedicated blogging functionality to this platform or not, but, as of now, there are no solid plans that I'm aware of.

May 6, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #148 of 159
eh....this is going to take some getting use too....initial impressions are not good in my opinon just based on visual looks because everything appears to be bigger physically which i think intern will mean more scrolling while browsing

May 6, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #149 of 159
Site looks good!  I think its a little too white, but maybe I'll get used to it after a while :p  The new functionality looks promising!  

A small issue I noticed:  when I have 'Default to the Full-Page Editor' checked in my account settings, clicking the quote button below a post gives me an error page instead of taking me to the reply page:
Quote:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function isDigitArray() in /var/www/sites/www.head-fi.org/releases/20100506025715/forum/class-postmultiview.php on line 140

I'm using Google Chrome.  No problems when I don't have the Full-Page Editor option checked, sorry if this was already posted somewhere :)

May 6, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #150 of 159

Quote:
Site looks good!  I think its a little too white, but maybe I'll get used to it after a while :p  The new functionality looks promising!  

A small issue I noticed:  when I have 'Default to the Full-Page Editor' checked in my account settings, clicking the quote button below a post gives me an error page instead of taking me to the reply page:

I'm using Google Chrome.  No problems when I don't have the Full-Page Editor option checked, sorry if this was already posted somewhere :)

I think I'm with you on the white.  We'll see if we can tone that down soon.

Regarding the error:  I'll make sure to report it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back