Big Orpheus system for "couples"?
Jun 18, 2006 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nomad

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi! Back around here after almost 3 weeks away with a tricky question...

I remember reading on the past National Meet Thread that perhaps the performance of the Big Orpheus system wasn't optimal because both headphone outputs were used at the same time.

The DHA3000-(L3000+L3000G) configuration has no impact on the sound compared with the DHA3000-L3000. Is it the same on the case of the HEV90-(HE90+Stax)?

Any imput on this highly appreciated. Cheers!

Jun 19, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 9
match sensitivitys carefully young skywalker...

i personally run my omega 2's and whatever else i want to listen to (usually lambdas) side by side, so both stay charged, but changing headphones requres adjusting the volume knob.

it should also be noted that the stax's use a 580V bias, where the senheizers use a 500V bias. there was a thread about possible problems plugging senheizers into stax amps, and running the stax at 500V bias isnt much fair...

i highly recomend a dual he-90 system if that is what you require
very_evil_smiley.gif
or a dual omega 2.

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 9
There's no problem for an electrostatic amp to bias more than one headphone at a time. All of them get the same voltage if the circuit is properly designed.

What does matter is that the voltage swing from the amp proper is reduced if you run more than one headphone, which will reduce the dynamics of the music.

Audio Technica phones are easy to drive, so the DHA3000 could eat several and not even feel partially full. Give it a couple of good, solid meals like HD650s and it's stomache might begin to hurt a little, though.

Jun 19, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 9
The Big O system has no problems driving 2 HE90s at the same time,It gets a little tricky when you drive a O2 & He90 at the same time.
The O2 seems tougher to drive then the HE90.

Jun 19, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks to all for the answers.

I was aware of the 490V-580V issue, but my main concern here was to see if the amp could deal with both at the same time. Now I can see that it shouldn't be a problem.

It seems like the SR-Omegas are not tougher to drive, compared with the HE90s. So I'll keep both plugged in. It's easier to do A/B test this way and less stressful for the jacks/connectors.

I'm doing a nice and interesting experiment that involves a HEV90, a HE90, a SR-Omega and a Orpheus-Stax adaptor. I'll keep you updated
wink.gif

I only did sleep for two hours yesterday. Too soon for firm impressions, though.

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
I'm doing a nice and interesting experiment that involves a HEV90, a HE90, a SR-Omega and a Orpheus-Stax adaptor. I'll keep you updated
wink.gif

I only did sleep for two hours yesterday. Too soon for firm impressions, though.

I'm suprised you managed to pull yourself away from what may well be the two best headphones in the world for an entire two hours.

I'm expecting nothing less than a Darth Nut grade review from you.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm surprised myself too, Carl. I was so proud of myself...

I would like to test the setup for a while (at least one month?). I'm a firm believer of long-term impressions. First impressions can be found in meets and, although better than nothing, sometimes they can be really misleading. I experienced this in the past. The L3000s or K1000 could be a good example.

I remember a huge thread from gsferrari about electrostatic orgasm comparing HE60, O2 and Stax 404 and he was updating it every day (and changing impressions every day, really confusing at the end). One day the HE60 was better... Another day was the O2... I'd like to avoid that. I will wait a bit and I'll post about it.

Apart from the HE90, I'll try to do brief comparations vs K1000 (from V20), R10, HE60, L3000 or PS1. I just bought a pair of Qualias, but I'm not sure if I have an amp to make them justice yet.

Cheers...

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
I remember a huge thread from gsferrari about electrostatic orgasm comparing HE60, O2 and Stax 404 and he was updating it every day (and changing impressions every day, really confusing at the end). One day the HE60 was better... Another day was the O2... I'd like to avoid that. I will wait a bit and I'll post about it.

Yeah, I remember that one. I read one thing from it - the HE60, OII, and 404 are all pretty darm good.

Of course, HE90 and O1 are even better.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Apart from the HE90, I'll try to do brief comparations vs K1000 (from V20), R10, HE60, L3000 or PS1. I just bought a pair of Qualias, but I'm not sure if I have an amp to make them justice yet.

I'm seriously looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back