big$$$ not always best quality
Oct 11, 2002 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
I have learned a valuable lesson recently. I learned that the more expensive system is not necessarily the best sounding system. I have two systems. I recently have been doing side by side comparisons of them and realized that I like the "cheaper" system better. The more expensive system has supposedly better components and much more money in it and I still find I like the other one better. Anyone else have this experience??

Oct 11, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 8
All the time. I used to work in a high-end audio shop and there were many affordable systems that I put together that I much preferred to some insanely expensive ones.

There is probably alot of different reasons for this. One could be that the more costly system components are not matched well. Another could be really good budget componets or the budget components are more "musical" while the higher end stuff is more analytical. Myself I tend to prefer musical to analytical.

These are just a couple of reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

Oct 11, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Well it's all personal preference. After all. a hell of a lot of people drink Budweiser by choice!

Mmmmmm beer, yet another thing germans do the best
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 2, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 8
A lot of stuff is personal taste after a certain price point.

Look at clothes for example. A $900 pair of shoes is not always better than a $700 pair of shoes.

I once spent over $200 at a restaurant and it was good but I’ve had a $90 meal that was much better.

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #8 of 8
A lot of stuff is personal taste after a certain price point.

Look at clothes for example. A $900 pair of shoes is not always better than a $700 pair of shoes.

I once spent over $200 at a restaurant and it was good but I’ve had a $90 meal that was much better.
A lot of it is brand names attached to them, associated with marketing the brand name. I was looking up good insulating coolers, and yeti comes up. Yeti is quite overpriced due to brand name, if you compare to the competition. Functionally, both being comparable. Yeti may slightly be better in build quality, but hard to be sure of that. But, fraction of the price for a comparable performing product just seam very reasonable as a choice.

If you have the money, and appreciate what Yeti brand is worth with your money, but personally, I find figuring out what has the best value to be real fun part of looking for products. When I see people recommending the 'hidden gems' based on their research, I find it pretty impressive.

But, there are stuff that do offer better for money, but they won't be at extraordinary pricing. They might be priced more due to build, and durability. Some have particular designs that has advantages in performance of it's functionality that the increase in price would be worth it in the long run. It takes a bit of research to figure all this out however. It's all about time is money factored in for those take the time to shop. In economics, it's about pros and cons of your income/time, etc..

And I'm not meaning versace logo on master and dynamic or some garbage like that.

It's very reasonable to be picky when looking for good performance products. Value per pricing should be factored in, and if we all do this, it's just helps the market respond to smarter consumers.

I think we live in good times for consumer research with the internet and youtube. We can all do personal research on our own instead of relying on hearsay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back