Big move up from K7XX...to?
Nov 1, 2016 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mattcalgary

Head-Fier
To be honest, when it comes to knowing exactly what attributes I like in sound I have a hard time describing them - I just know what I like! So far the combination I have is:

K7XX
Schitt Modi Uber and Vali v.1

Whatever most would describe this sound as, I really enjoy it. The headphones are incredibly comfortable as well, which is really important to me, so I wouldn't go any less comfortable that this. Open or closed doesn't matter.

However, I'm looking up the headphone ladder and willing to spend some big bucks (1-2K) for new headphones that have the same characteristics as now but just overall do things better. If I had one complaint it's that the bass could be tightened up a bit from my current setup.

I'll be upgrading the amp/dac in the future but for now I'd really like to focus on the headphones as the first big purchase!

Cheers!
-Matt

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 3
I went from the AKG K712 Pro to the HiFiMAN HE-400i and have not looked back. The planar sound is spectacular, the comfort is actually better than the AKG because the earcups rest on my head in the proper locations. I really do not care for the elastic bands that auto adjust the headband on the AKG headphones.

The frequency response is much more neutral and the bass goes really low. The drivers are larger too so you get more impact with good recordings. I use the focal pads which improve the sound by angling the drivers towards the ear canal which improves bass. There is also a thin layer of felt on the pads which acts like a filter allowing some of the pressure from the air movement to leak out which helps control the peaks in the frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back