big iMod vs stock iPod battery
Jul 20, 2007 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

onocentaur

100+ Head-Fier
I got my new iMod last week, and I've been burning the ALO cable in with it, swapping with my old iPod. When I bought my iMod I got Vinnie to install a new higher-capacity battery, 950mah.
Now, max running time on my old iPod with stock battery has been about 10.5hrs, whereas my new iMod with big battery has been about 8hrs. They're both 5.5g 80gb models, running exactly the same release of Rockbox, with the same settings, repeating exactly the same song, with the same equipment to burn in. Everything's the same.
So why is the stock battery giving me 2.5hrs more? Is my bigger capacity battery duff? Does the iMod take more charge? Does the battery take a load of recharge cycles to hit full capacity?
confused.gif
It's really annoying!

Jul 20, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, I think (people feel free to shoot me down if I'm wrong) because part of the modification of the iMod is to increase the output current through the line-out dock, the iMod does use more energy than a stock iPod, thus overall more overall battery loss.

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 5
If im running lossless files on my stock 5.5g imod, (iv only set it to repeat one song) It runs for about 13.5-14hours. With an mp3 it was a fair amount more.

If I used the ipod (clicked songs etc..) the battery life went down a fair amount, but not to the levels you describe, I think I still get around 10-11hours.

Im using Apple firmware btw.

Jul 20, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I think (people feel free to shoot me down if I'm wrong) because part of the modification of the iMod is to increase the output current through the line-out dock, the iMod does use more energy than a stock iPod, thus overall more overall battery loss.

That sounds plausible. I wouldn't mind the lower battery life if it was a side-effect of having such great sound. I think I'll email Vinnie and ask.

EDIT: Vinnie sez: iMod has no effect on battery life. So duff battery it is
frown.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by onocentaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Vinnie sez: iMod has no effect on battery life. So duff battery it is
frown.gif

All,

This is correct... the iMod has NO effect on the battery life

Best regards,

Vinnie

Users who are viewing this thread