BIG amps anybody? (Yes, I mean size.)
Dec 14, 2009 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Raez

500+ Head-Fier
Maybe, I'm crazy, maybe I just like big amps.
biggrin.gif
Anybody else have a particular liking to large audio gear. Amps/DACs, I don't care, I like it BIG! Anybody else share this same strange preference?

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 16
Naw man I hate when gears are too big.

I mean honestly what you could do is put the internals of a pico dac/amp into a 20" x 20" x 20" box enclosure and you got yourself a big amp/dac.

What's impressive for me is how small can they get it without losing sound quality. Sadly most people generally think the larger the better.

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 16
Big amps are pretty cool in my book (i.e. WA5). Tubes are like a man root (to use my favorite Wilbur Smith term); the bigger it is, the better it is! Solid state does look nicer in a nice compact package.

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 16
Raez, you may well be setting new records for the silliest threads (no mean feat on Head-Fi !), but I'll play along. Pick a headphone amp, any headphone amp, and chances are that it is *Lilliputian* next to some of the pre/power combinations put out by the serious end of the amp market. People like Krell seem to delight in releasing gear that needs two strong men to get on and off the *truck* required to deliver the huge lumps of metal. Then you have speakers like the Focal Utopia : these require a crane for delivery. I guess if you can afford speakers like that, and the gear needed to do justice to them, you can afford to have a wall taken out on the side of your house to allow the speakers to be lifted into place.

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big amps are pretty cool in my book (i.e. WA5). Tubes are like a man root (to use my favorite Wilbur Smith term); the bigger it is, the better it is! Solid state does look nicer in a nice compact package.

It's weird, I'm really begging to like big SS designs too, which I didn't like before.
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Raez, you may well be setting new records for the silliest threads (no mean feat on Head-Fi !), but I'll play along. \

Well, I disagree, but hey, to each his own.
tongue.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 16
I like outsize gear, so long as its worth its footprint.

The Emotiva XPA-1 is what perks my big heavy curiousity atm.

Dec 14, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like outsize gear, so long as its worth its footprint.

The Emotiva XPA-1 is what perks my big heavy curiousity atm.

Duggehhh whatsup!

AH! That thing is huge indeed.

Dec 14, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 16
Raez. Yeah. Hi.

Quite.

¬ _¬

(__________________________________________________ ______________________________)

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 16
I also share big gear envy, also applies to plugs, connectors and cables - if it’s big it’s must be good...

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also share big gear envy, also applies to plugs, connectors and cables - if it’s big it’s must be good...

Mmmm yes, cables especially. I'd give my kidney for an 18 gauge jenna silver cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back