BICYCLING thread ...
Aug 24, 2004 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

chan130

100+ Head-Fier
... inspired by Lori-Ann Muenzer winning Canada's first Olympic gold medal in track cycling, it is a good time to start the BICYCLING thread.

How many people out there ride a bike?
What [type of] bike(s) do you own?
Why do you ride?
How often do you ride?
Where do you ride?
How far do you ride?

Do you follow the sport of professional cycling? Who are your favourites?
Do you upgrade your bike/bike parts like people here upgrade Hi-Fi gear?

Do you ride at night, in the winter?
Post your tips for night riding, winter riding.

Do you leave your bike unattended?
Have you ever had your bike stolen?
Where was it stolen, how was it locked up (cable, U-lock)?
Post any tips you have for preventing bike theft.

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 35
Ride a bike: I do.
Types of bikes owned: Urban, BSX, Dirt Jump, Downhill, Freeride.
Why?: Because I want to.
Where? Wherever I can. Sometimes with riding friends, and sometimes alone.
Where?: Mostly around where I live.
Far?: Depends on how fit I'm feeling, which these days is not a lot.
The only guys I know/like are Bender and Steve Peat. I'm not sure Bender qualifies as a professional cyclist. Professional wombat with a touch of lemming, maybe.
Between spending on audio and bikes, there is absolutely no comparison. I own suspension forks that cost twice as much as the Omega II's, let alone frames, etc.
I do not ride at night. The only time I did that I ended up in hospital with the skin stripped off my back after I rolled down a ravine.
Tips for night riding: Don't, unless you can get a helicopter to floodlight the place. Tips for winter riding: Go somewhere warm.
I frequently leave my bikes unattended.
I've had 14 bikes stolen.
Tips for preventing theft: Do not rely on others to lock wherever you've put your bikes. Use Kryptonite locks. Choose secure items to lock your bikes to. If you have a decent bike or a bike that you cannot afford to lose, park it where you can check on it regularly.

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 35
Yup, I saw that amazing Canadian lady. Started going pro as late as 31? She deserves the medal.

Did you see the men's sprint too? Bayley's got frightening early-sprint capability. The finals were nail-biting.

I've always like cycling but it's only been since the Tour De France this year that I started paying attention to pro cycling. At first, I thought of leaving it as that but then I happened to see the men's points race and the men's and women's sprints and I guess I'm now looking foreward to more in the future.

When I'm on holiday back in Singapore, I ride the Trek Y-33 mountain bike. Probably the first carbon-fibre framed, full-suspension bike to be made by a major manufacturer. What I love about it is that it weighs in at only about 20 lbs! I don't fancy road bikes because they're too delicate here in the Singapore city where there are pavements to bounce on or off.

Also, I like riding on a number of dirt tracks and occasionally at night. In Singapore, there aren't any winters so I ride whenever I want!

Well it was quite a while ago when it was launched but the bikes parts have been upgraded from the start. The supplied aluminium handle-bars were chaned to Bontrager Titac titanium ones, the crank was changed to a super-light-weight aluminium SDG, saddle was changed, seat post was also changed to Titac, and spokes were chaned too but I can't remember to what brand.

Fortunately, nothing stolen just yet. However, that bike is worth over $4000 including the upgrades!

No new upgrades have been made in the past 5 years and it's not going to happen soon now that I've found this site!

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 35
I have a mountain bike, but these days, I mostly ride on the road.
I try to ride 3 times a week.
I ride because it is faster than hiking and it is good exercise, I also like to cover a lot of ground in a fairly short time.
I prefer to ride in the evenings.
It seems I usually ride more in the Summer, because of the long days, even though I could easily ride year round.
I ride anywhere from 5 miles to 10 miles from my house.
I don't upgrade my parts anymore, because I like the way it is and if I want to cut down on weight, I will do it on the rider
smily_headphones1.gif

I do not follow professional riding.

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 35
I ride a Schwinn '98 Homegrown all around Chicago because cars suck. I use a NY Chain w/EV Disc Lock because I had a cannondale stolen with a U lock. I have had no issues so far, except my wallet is about $90 lighter. Most messengers in Chicago use the same lock. Besides 1 flashing light on my back, I use a Petzl headlamp for night riding. I have slicks on for the city, I use WTB raptors for dirt. Usually I stay in the city, go on dirt for vacation. I love riding in the winter, maybe next year I will drop some cash for those spiked tires. I do not follow professional biking, but my fav biker is that guy from American Flyers (not Kevin Costner).

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 35
I own one road bike atm, I used to own a very good one that was hand-built by myself (well, actually not the frame itself)
It had a very efficient combination of shimano and campagnolo parts (in those days when shimano was far more andvanced on shifting etc)
I was very proud of this bike, unfortunately it got stolen, just as several bikes after that.
Bikes get stolen a lot around here unfortunately....
With each sucessive bike that got stolen my interest for the hobby declined a bit more and I stopped buying parts for it,upgrading etc just getting a second hand and ride it until it was stolen again (good lock didn't matter)
The one I have now is a vintage bike that needs some key components replaced and I have decided I will do this myself again (after ten years of doing nothing myself xept changing tires, oiling etc)

I am not investing a great deal of money ever again in a road bike, since I need to keep it inside the house (!)if it gets to valuable else it gets stolen again,also there is no insurance possible on road bikes unless kept in totally secure places, especially in the city where I live.

I have also done a bit of actual riding btw, pretty much daily about 40 km, on weekends much more for a lot of years.
At one point I wanted to do something more with the sport but after riding with some really dedicated people I concluded I wasn't good enough and kept on riding just to get from a to b and for fun.
I really would not know how to prevent your bike from getting stolen, the best thing I have done over the years was keeping it inside my home whenever possible since they break open shed doors etc. to get to the bikes a lot more compared to breaking into your house.

P.S. I have spent many,many times the amount of money on my bikes over the years compared to audio hardware, there is no comparison.

I have no real tips on winter riding, just be sure to get good quality clothes and don't get wet from rain.
I often need to protect my upper legs in the winter I am sensitive there, especially when it rains.
I would not advise to ride at night unless you have good light to be seen, I have had too many instances of almost - accidents where the other guy (in a car) just didn't see me at all.

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 35
Mountain Bike, Klein pulse race, Bridgestone MB-3(stolen)

Why do you ride?
Daily Commuting to work

How often do you ride?
Monday - Friday

Where do you ride?
Commuting ( Home to work )

How far do you ride?
around 2-3 miles one way

Do you follow the sport of professional cycling?
No

No

Yes, night & winter

Ride slower, use a noticeable jacket, use gloves, scarf and a thick jacket during winter.

No

Yes.

Post any tips you have for preventing bike theft.
Lock it up, don't park it on shady area.

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 35
I don't bike as much these days since my local trails got bulldozed and flattened, well, more accurately I don't mountainbike as much but I think overall it's still about the same which is about 4-5 times a week.

Bikes, well, as you can see I have several of them, I've added a Trek 7000 to the stable and the one on the left as been retired after hairline cracks were found in the frame. The bike on the right has gained XTR parts and disc brakes and the one in the middle has also gone XTR. Nothing too fancy on either bike, just good solid reliable parts.
bikes.JPG

I ride for fun whenever I feel like, wherever I feel like, and for however long I feel like, sometimes it's a 5 minute spin around the block, others it's an epic all day adventure.

Pro-cycling, I'll only watch the Tour de France and some Olympic events, biking's a "do" sport not a "watch" sport to me.

Upgrading, I'm done. I've met all the goals for my bikes and there are no avenues left for improvement. I got my disc brakes & XTR parts 3 years ago and that was the end up my upgrading. Every single part on the bikes was hand-picked and hand-built by me right down to the spokes on the wheels. Still using '98 8 speed parts because they are the most reliable & durable.

Nightriding these days is limited to when I'm at my friend's cottage, there's nothing fun in my area left (damn bulldozers). Winter riding is done too since salt, snow, and steel bikes don't go together too well, years of winter riding led to the demise of my first bike. I'll take the Trek 7000 out for grocery runs but that's about it.

In nightriding you have to anticipate everything, look as far ahead as the lights allow and keep your main focus there instead of up close. Otherwise unexpected things jump out of the dark which causes panic & crashing, not good. Winter riding, use a fender and learn to go with the flow. Sometimes the bike won't go where you want it to so you'll just have to work with it and nudge it in the right direction. If you force it you lose momentum and/or crash.

Aug 24, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 35
Cannondale touring bike (20 yrs old, 1st generation oversized aluminum frame)
- drivetrain, wheels, seat have been replaced.
- original rear wheel was stolen while my bike was locked up at the hospital [my dad was in Emergency(heart failure)]

I use my Cannondale for everyday commuting [year-round].
I ride mostly around/near downtown Toronto. i average 30-50 miles/week.
Cycling is faster than using cars or public transportation. it is a lot cheaper. it is a good way to burn off a few calories.

On Wed nights, i will ride with friends to a coffee shop...exercise/coffee/food/scrabble/discussion.
Night riding: i use a flashing red-LED on the rear. in spring/summer/fall i use white-LED light on the front. in late fall/winter i use a 8/12/15watt NiMH front light [Planet Bike Alias] (most/entire ride is in the dark).
Winter riding: I put a Tioga Bloodhound tire on the front. If it gets really bad with snow/ice, i will use a tire with metal studs. i will often use extra red-LED light for winter nights.

i lock my bike with a U-Lock (lock in centre). if i stop longer than 10 mins, i will take the front wheel off and lock front+back wheel to an secure object.

Rocky Mountain Vertex T.O. [hardtail mtn].
- bought the frame used, then built it up using parts off my old mtn bike and new parts that were purchased. [obtain parts you want when you can find/afford them]
Local mtn bike trail [Don Valley](25-30 mins away by bike) nearby is fairly technical. Otherwise i will tag along with my friends and go to trails 1-1.5 hrs away by car [Durham Forest, Ravenshoe, etc.]. I am a casual mtn bike rider.

I have had at least 3 bikes stolen.
One was a Cannondale mtn bike locked up with a cable lock outside the gym.
Cheap cable locks are easily snipped. [found out the hard way]
Another bike was left unlocked/unattended outside my house. the other, i cannot remember how it was taken.

Bike theft is a big concern. i like my everyday bike to keep its BEATER BIKE status. [no flashy new parts, keep bike dirty]

Aug 25, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 35
Raleigh Grand Prix Road bike

I ride anywhere from 15 to 25 miles 5-6 days per week.

I ride for fitness and sanity.

I ride in my town and in the surrounding towns. I also ride in the White Mountains.

I follow Lance Armstrong and the US team.

Never had a bike stolen. I keep it in my house. When on my truck rack, it is locked onto the rack and truck.

I don't ride at night.......too many a**holes on the road.

Yes, I do upgrade with some parts (saddle, clipless pedals, HR monitor, etc) but not a lot as this isn't a really expensive bike.

I train on a stationary trainer when the snow is flying as well as some weight training. I do ride in the winter if the roads are not covered in snow or icy.

Theft prevention?.........carry a gun next to your mini-pump.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #11 of 35

Just one at the moment. It's a 1999 Schwinn Moab 2. Excluding the frame, the saddle (which really should be replaced) and the front derraileur, the entire bike has been upgraded since purchase! Main upgrades were Marzocchi Atom Bomb fork, Sun Rhyno Lite/LX wheelset, Avid Single Digit 7 brakes, Truvativ Stylo Team cranks/rings. (See my avatar)

Why do you ride?

Enjoyment. I like the technical challenge of mountain biking. The fitness aspect is also a big plus.

How often do you ride?

At present, I am only able to hit the trails on the weekend. I take one spin class during the week which has aided my aerobic fitness greatly. Will try to squeeze another spin class in somewhere. I should ride to work, but due to the ever present issue of bike theft, I prefer to walk or take PT.

Where do you ride?

30 min ride to my local trails - Wissahickon Creek. Sadly, since Charley blew through, there has been a huge amount of damage to the trails. Anything else worthwhile requires a car to access, and I dont have one of those.

How far do you ride?

I think it's around 50 miles, but that's a guess.

Do you follow the sport of professional cycling?

I keep an eye on the NORBA/World Cup Mtn biking via MBA

Who are your favourites?

The Australians!

As they wear out. I am saving for a new bike - have been bitten by the dual suspension bug. Mmmm...Ventana
tongue.gif

Night riding - I did in Australia. Have not since moving to Philadelphia. I did ride last winter in Philly, but not in the snow. Need to get some booties for this winter - my feet became numb fairly quickly
wink.gif

Night riding: If you only have one light, mount it on your helmet. Two lights make a world of difference - one helmet and one handlebar mount. As with most things, you get what you pay for
wink.gif

Winter riding: Windproof gloves and vest are essential if the temps are close to or below freezing. Windproof skullcap is also a good idea. Layers work best. Thermal underwear is just as good as fancy thermal cycling gear. For the love of all things good - don't wear cotton!

Never - In fact I usually have it locked in my apartment.

I had a $20 beater stolen from Uni.

Where was it stolen, how was it locked up (cable, U-lock)?

It was secured with a cable lock. People will take anything, so dont assume a beater is safe. With my Schwinn, some prick cut the Kryptonite cable locking my wheels to my frame (which was secured with the NY U-Lock). Fortunately, another rider scared the guy away before he had a chance to make off with my wheels.

Post any tips you have for preventing bike theft

If you have to lock you bike somewhere, make it somewhere well lit and highly trafficked. Don't use anything less than a Kryptonite U-lock, and don't assume Kryptonite cables cannot be cut - they can
wink.gif
At the end of the day, only the casual thief will be detered - if someone wants your bike badly enough, chances are they will take it. In this regard, where you lock your bike can be almost as important as what you use to lock it.

Happy trails!
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 35
I ride to and from work once or twice a week, to work at 2:30 and then home at 11:00. I ride a Raleigh Tarantula frame and fork with Raleigh Microlite sprockets, brakes, wheels, shifters, and bars. I'm also a fat guy with a little skinny seat. (but the back axle is bent so I have to really baby it in order to not let the tire rub on the frame).

Tips for night riding:
Watch out for cars. I know if a car's coming at least a block before he gets to me, no matter where he's coming from, and I get myself out of his way. I don't trust him.
Wear reflective anything. I have one of those safety-vests that construction workers wear, and while it may look dopey, it's better to look dopey biking than to not be able to bike.

tips for winter riding:
Don't use your pedal clips.
wear layers with zippers.

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 35
I occaisionally ride my aged Nigel Dean World Tour , though I feel nervous about riding in Philly as Car Drivers here have no respect for the Bike lanes, oddly I felt much safer in Dallas.

I have been a mild fan of Le Tour since the 1970s and follow it each year - and used to be in a Road Club (Hull Thursday) back in blighty, sadly I was never much good competitively being a total disaster on hills.

I used to ride 40 - 60 miles on a weekend but could not do that now.

Aug 25, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #14 of 35
What I ride: I just got me a nifty new "Comfy Mountain" bike. A "comfy" bike is a mountain style bike with tamed shocks forks on the front and a shock tube for a seat post. Also sporting a more padded seat. The handle bars are set for a more upright rideing position. Mine is a way cool Schwinn Serria GS in blue pearl and silver.

What add on's do you have: Well I changed over to a "Big Butt Gel" seat, and added spiffy led peddles, 5 beam led multi function rear light, a 3 beam front led multi function light, and finally a Planet Bike Protege 9.0 computer.

How often do you ride: When ever my mommy.......er wife lets me.

Why do you bike ride: Cuss I got a new bike. And cuss at 54 years of age I am finally the coolest kid on the block. Especially with my lights on. Jimmy Baker said they are way cool. And Jamie, the little snot nose, tried to steel my peddles.
biggrin.gif

Why do you ride: Cuss the other kids can't catch me.
rolleyes.gif
They think I am the coolist kid in the subdivision. Eddie said I was totally tubeular. And now the other kids don't throw toilet paper streamers through my trees anymore.

Do you upgrade your bike like headphone/amps ect. often: Yeah I wanna always be the coolist, but only when my mommy.....er wife says the bills are paid. Hopefully Santa Clause will give me one of thoes little liscence plates with my name on it. I will hang it under my "Big Butt Gel" seat.
icon10.gif
eek.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif

Aug 26, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 35
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/forum...ad.php?t=99038 - Cyclists: Lock up your bikes properly! Tips & Testimonies
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html - Sheldon Brown lock strategy
http://www.mit.edu/afs/athena/activi...info/bug.theft - Theft Prevention (MIT campus)
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetis...roducts_how_to - Kryptonite Products lock up tips
http://www.stocksmfg.on.ca/faq.html - Stocks Lock FAQ

looks like amost everyone has some experience with bike theft.

Given enough time, all locks/cables/chains can be compromised.
The longer it takes a thief to get through your bike security, the less likely your bike will be stolen.

Tools used by bike theives:
lock pick
hacksaw
wire cutter [on thin cables]
small bolt cutter
large bolt cutter [hard to conceal]
pipe [to fit over end of U-lock]
pipe/stick/pole to bend U-lock by twisting/prying
hammer type object [hammer end of U-lock or freeze then shatter]
freezing agent to allow steel to become brittle and shatterable

If you use a cable/chain, make sure that cable/chain does not easily reach the ground [ie. secure higher, take up slack]
make it difficult for theif to leverage tool with their full bodyweight.[picture having to use bolt cutter in air versus on the ground]

If you use a U-lock, try to fill the area inside the U as much as possible[ie. take off front wheel, use small U-lock]
make it difficult for theif to insert stick and pry/twist lock.

Some of the better bike lock products:

180104x2.gif
- Kryptonite New York 3000
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetis...s_item&pgrp=20

730231x2.gif
- Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetis...s_item&pgrp=20

4012606.jpg
- Stocks Long U-Lock
http://www.stocksmfg.on.ca/

I like the Stocks Long U-Lock.
one piece stainless steel cable[resistant to rusting, freezing (cannot be shattered)].
Stainless steel barrel, with seven pin barrel lock.
density and complexity of the cable make it highly resistand to hacksaws and bolt cutters.
Flexible cable allows lock to give, which helps prevent it from being pried, twisted or jacked apart. nearly impossible to break using typical theft methods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back