"Bicycle Shifting" Stepped Attenuators?
Feb 15, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #46 of 47
hey hey hey, don't get certain that I'm raving mad just yet!

ehm, yeah, maybe that was uncalled for. I was bored, what can I say.

Regardless, my 2 cents on the issue: digital attenuators seem cool. I haven't listened to a really good one yet. My Yamaha receiver has a remote controlled pot though.

EDIT: And the receiver is 10 years old and I bought it at Sears for $400. So clearly the tech for an RC pot is not extremely expensive.

Feb 15, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #47 of 47
Quote:

Regardless, my 2 cents on the issue: digital attenuators seem cool. I haven't listened to a really good one yet. My Yamaha receiver has a remote controlled pot though.

I totally agree on the "cool" factor of remote control volume and like you I have personally not yet heard one I like unless it was based on digital control of analog devices.Something kinda metallic sounding in the bad ones and a loss of the small details plus dynamics seem squashed in even the good ones.

I think maybe a good happy medium might be a "pretty good" digital control attached in a tape loop/external processor loop (or between amp and preamp) that can be defeated for critical listening but put "in circuit" at the flip of a switch for background music use-kinda best of both worlds.

Quote:

hey hey hey, don't get certain that I'm raving mad just yet!

ehm, yeah, maybe that was uncalled for. I was bored, what can I say.

damn dude ! you are starting to sound like me !
icon10.gif

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back