Bicycle-Fi!
Oct 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #2,881 of 4,419
the conclusion they came to is that cyclists know nothing about the pure mechanics of high speed cornering

Thoughtful insights into high acceleration cornering are usually hard earned after crossing the limits of your ride and technique.

I've had the great fortune to live through automobile, motorcycle and bicycle crashes.

This afforded the opportunity for equally great introspection while healing, into what may have gone wrong.

Much depends on the track/road width as you look to your fastest line, attempting your best to sync up with your machines aerodynamics, braking and acceleration capabilities.

I've always been most respectful of a bicycles rawness at high speed, while motorcycles have the sheer thrill of acceleration and automobiles are spectacular with G forces.

I enjoyed knowing that a friends overhead cam Mustang might take me in the straight but for certain I would lose him with the Corvette in a tight corner.

A 1,300 CC motorcycle and a full twist of the wrist to a ridiculous top end is an addictive blast.

But the bicycle has something of its own to offer, when on a fast descent and approaching a tight curve with hair on end...

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #2,882 of 4,419
Thoughtful insights into high acceleration cornering are usually hard earned after crossing the limits of your ride and technique.

I've had the great fortune to live through automobile, motorcycle and bicycle crashes.

This afforded the opportunity for great introspection while healing, into what may have gone wrong.

Much depended on the track/road width as you looked to your fastest line, attempting your best to sync up with your machines aerodynamics, braking and acceleration capabilities.

I've always been most respectful of a bicycles rawness at high speed, motorcycles have the sheer thrill of acceleration and automobiles are spectacular with G forces.

I enjoyed knowing that a friends overhead cam Mustang might take me in the straight but for certain I would lose him with the Corvette in the tight corner.

A 1,300 CC motorcycle and a full twist of the wrist to a ridiculous top end is an addictive blast.

But the bicycle has something of its own to offer, when on a fast descent and approaching a tight curve with hair on end...

Well if you're from Brampton you may be familiar with Bellfountain and Rattlesnake point. Descending either in the wet on a bike is guaranteed to make you old.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #2,883 of 4,419
Bellfountain and Rattlesnake point. Descending either in the wet on a bike is guaranteed to make you old.

Famous old haunts of mine, nice to hear you mention those two twisties!

J.Hoogerland bumped into barbed wire by a T.V. car, etched in my mind:

Hoogerland said: "'I did what felt like a few somersaults. I don't know where the car came from. I landed on the fence, looked at my legs and thought: "Is this what cycling is about?"

For sure I'd like to buy this man a beer.

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #2,884 of 4,419

Hoogerland said: "'I did what felt like a few somersaults. I don't know where the car came from. I landed on the fence, looked at my legs and thought: "Is this what cycling is about?"

And a few tubes of poysporin!

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2,885 of 4,419
He had many contract offers from the big teams (BMC, Radioshack...) but not for the head of the team, so he (sadly imo) decided to go to a, I am gonna say average, team  because he wants to win titles (greedy person I know 
mad.gif
) and he can only do that if he has a whole team behind him. Lampre has not big names to carry him in the summer season  and a champion is made by a team. The thing that scares me the most is that Lampre lacks good climbers... I guess I have to hope for the best...

And they shoutcaster said at 2:20 that Rui Costa didn't had the legs to keep up with the spanish...   They were so wrong HAHAHHAHAHAHA

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2,886 of 4,419

And a few tubes of poysporin!

Some good reading here today!
beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #2,887 of 4,419
Finally got a chance to ride a fixie today, a belt driven one too.
Felt really strange, and it was really fun, I think I'd have to spend a lot of time in a flat, fairly car free environment to play around and really get used to riding like that, but I did really enjoy it.
I was rubbish at track stands and I failed totally to ride backwards, didn't feel impossible, just alien :p
I'd love to have one just to play with..

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #2,888 of 4,419
  Finally got a chance to ride a fixie today, a belt driven one too.
Felt really strange, and it was really fun, I think I'd have to spend a lot of time in a flat, fairly car free environment to play around and really get used to riding like that, but I did really enjoy it.
I was rubbish at track stands and I failed totally to ride backwards, didn't feel impossible, just alien :p
I'd love to have one just to play with..

If I was going to get another ( I'm not ) I would get a 2014 Langster. They look so cool to me.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #2,889 of 4,419

If I was going to get another ( I'm not ) I would get a 2014 Langster. They look so cool to me.

Both of my bikes are specialized, There is a specialized concept store near me, they have by far the most professional, nice, and helpful staff of any store I've been in, they're honest, and very good at staying in contact. The langsters look extremely good to me for that reason, they had one built up in store last time I was in, they look great in person :]

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #2,891 of 4,419
Oct 20, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #2,894 of 4,419

Users who are viewing this thread

Back